Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of curiosity I downloaded Mozilla Firebird 0.6.1 a couple of weeks ago - not bad at all. IMHO it's what Camino should be by now, quite stable, and its speed seems on a par with Safari.

I found a funny little bugaboo in the Privacy pane under Download Manager History; it appears that a programmer left some pane text unfinished:

The Download Manager keeps track of recently downloaded files. XXXben - blake, we need at the very least a toggle here, probably a retention window as well.

Heh heh. I can't remember - is XXX hugs or kisses? I don't know if the developers have already found this or if it's in the most current version available for download.

Has anyone else out there tried this browser? What do you think?

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Does it have an aqua interface like Camino? I'd like to try it out but as superficial as it sounds, I really like Camino's aqua interface.

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, you can download widely varying skins - one of which looks just like (and is called) Chimera - you know, Camino's original name.

Some of the skins just aren't my cup of tea, while others are quite nice. I've noticed that skins can make the scrollbars sort of disappear, but that's about the extent of the bad behaviour & won't stop me from using Firebird.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
I've tried it on the Mac, but still prefer Safari. However, come when I'm using a Windows machine. I download Firebird when I can, as its much more enjoyable surfing with Firebird then compared to IE.

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
I like it! I downloaded the Chimera theme but by default the UI looks pretty nice. I installed the mouse gestures too so now I can draw a line pointing back and the browser take me to the previous page. You can set up a bunch of stuff with the gestures.

I think I will download this at work for testing instead of using Mozilla (I use Mozilla to test Web pages/code to make sure they work according to standards).

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At work (on my WinXP box) I started using Mozilla a while back; it was so nice to ditch IE. But I quickly grew tired of Mozilla's built-in e-mail setup; click on an e-mail address on a webpage and the Mozilla e-mail would launch, not Outlook. Then I discovered Mozilla Firebird; it doesn't have built-in e-mail or the aforementioned annoyance. It's the only browser I use at work at the moment, and is my alternate browser at home.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts