Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since going over to OSX, I've become more Apple aware and would like to get away from MS products wherever there are Apple replacements. This is the case with Entourage and Mail. I successfully exported and imported addresses from Entourage to Address Book. I like the integration between Address Book and Mail. I find Mail has a very simplified interface- that's okay. But I find this- when I open up Addresses in Mail and click "To", nothing happens. Is there any known issues where Mail doesn't work in some area? I'm willing to move entirely over to Mail if it works. Does anyone have any experience using Mail as a default email app? What are the limitations with Mail compared to Entourage? I was an OE user in OS9, but, since it's not native X, it's out.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You have to choose 'Compose' (i.e., new message), then Open Address book, choose name and then click 'To'. Or you can drag the address to the 'To' line in the message--same result.

So far, the only other peculiarities I find are:
1. mailing to a group--you need to edit the address entires so the email address is listed as 'email'.
2. if you use Fax you have to list the fax number as 'work fax' in the address book.

Apart from those little quirks I find 'Mail' just excellent for daily correspondance.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hi:

Just to clarify the reproduction steps, (or what I did) you start mail, click compose, new mail message pops up, click on addresses in the new mail message, click on an address in the list on the right, and then click "To" or "CC"?

I did that and added all kinds of addresses to the mail I was sending.

john

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Question for you, I am considering switching from Entourage to Mail, but does mail have any kind of autocomplete?

In Entourage when you start typeing in an address or name it will bring up a drop down list of all the news/addresses that have matching letters so I can just select that with an arrow key. For example, if I wanted to email RickTheChemist I could start typing 'rscy' (first part of his email address), scott, carrier or rickthechemist and it would narrow my address entries down to him (and any other people with those names/etc)

Does Mail do anything like this?

--PB

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PosterBoy:
Question for you, I am considering switching from Entourage to Mail, but does mail have any kind of autocomplete?

In Entourage when you start typeing in an address or name it will bring up a drop down list of all the news/addresses that have matching letters so I can just select that with an arrow key. For example, if I wanted to email RickTheChemist I could start typing 'rscy' (first part of his email address), scott, carrier or rickthechemist and it would narrow my address entries down to him (and any other people with those names/etc)

Does Mail do anything like this?

--PB
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. It's very annoying how the damn thing has a better memory than I do...

:cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts