Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D I wanted to do a little test so I put together this video. Have been wanting to do the test for myself ever since I read this thread on ehMac awhile back.

I managed to get a hold of a keyboard that had quite a bit of coffee spilled on it and quite a few of the keys were no longer functional. Well, I'll let you see the results.

You can find a smaller version of the video here.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
That was wonderful, thanks ehMax!

I won't be washing my keyboard in my dishwasher anytime soon, however my friend's keyboard for his PC... ;)

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Thanks for the great video and the service it does for all mac users. Was this the big announcement?

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Just a little note on this, I know somebody that has done this successfully a few times, and he said you should let the keyboard dry out for at least 3 days before plugging back into the computer to make sure everything is dry inside.

Not sure if he is full of horse plop, but this is what he told me.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not a real scientific expirement on my part. Letting it dry a few more days may have helped. It was just a good excuse to make a funny video.

And no, this wasn't the announcement.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Funny stuff, Mayor Mc. Cheeze!

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mark A. emailed me the following information:

Great video, dude!

Just thought I'd share this with you, don't know why, though:

I've spilled a whole cup of hot tea with milk and lots of sugar into my USB keyboard - twice! Both times, I quickly ran to the nearest bathtub, flushed it out thoroughly with warm water and turned it upside down on a towel to dry for 3 days. I'm typing on that same keyboard now! The key is to get to it quickly and flush out the sugar and other stuff. The water will drain or evaporate eventually and things will be just fine. My guess would be that flushing it with alcohol would take less time to dry out, but who has that much of it? Anyway, I wonder how many other emails you'll get about this? If you weren't able to retrieve your keyboard from the trash, I bet there's a sanitation worker out there using it now!
I've heard too that the key is washing it out right away. I wish I would of tried to let it dry a few more days. Oh well.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Hey! This thread got picked up on Mac Surfer.

That's the first mention of ehMac I've seen on the mother of all Apple news wires.

Now all we've got to do is throw in a piece of wrapped salmon and maybe we can end up on foodtv.ca with the surreal gourmet

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He He... I used to post more stories that got linked to Macsurfer back in the day. Expect to see more there with more fun memoirs coming soon.

I'd love to get Slashdotted sometime. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts