Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this is the correct place to ask this question but I will go ahead and ask.

On one of the updates, I don't remember which one, part of it was mouse control. What I mean by that is while reading a page when I want to move the page up, the pages go back a page.

It is very irritating constant ly having to click on the story again or click on the page forward arrow.

And for some reason the mouse is very touchy and will do thesame thing as soon as the mouse is touched.

·
Premium Member
16,572 Posts
And for some reason the mouse is very touchy and will do thesame thing as soon as the mouse is touched.
In order to get some decent replies, you are going to have to include the information about: your Mac, include year and model, MacOS version being used, shown under the Apple menu icon > About this Mac and of course the mouse model and any software you are using with it and any specific application where the problem occurs.

At present there are too many unknown variables in order to answer your problem question properly.

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay here goes: IMac with Ventura 13.0, 8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, 3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 Processor, 2017. magic mouse that came with machine.

It happens on any web page.

If any more is needed let me know.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,572 Posts
If any more is needed let me know.
Thanks for the info, and by the way, welcome to ehMac forums, but I will add here that I find it almost impossible to use any Apple Mouse and always have, and have usually always used Logitech mice, often customizing the extra buttons for my use which Apple doesn't allow with their mice, so I am certainly not the best person to provide advice for you.

If you want to stay with using the Apple magic mouse, you might want to try a Google search and check out some of the hits to see if there are some suggestions are alternative settings you could use, and maybe start here:

Good luck.

I will certainly admit that trying to use a jerky, fussy Mouse is very annoying and a real pain in the fanny to try using. Smooth and precise and reasonably fast is what you want, as long as you are not doing high-end video games.

You might even want to try using a third-party Mouse and maybe even some third-party software to control it depending on your needs. I prefer to use USB mice as I found most Bluetooth mice have an annoying lag, but it seems to depend on the mouse model, brand and software.

Good luck.

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Patrick,

I have slowed the mouse scroll speed down to alpost zero, but it still jumps around.

This is the second mouse I have used. This all happened right after an OS update, but I don't remember which one.

·
Premium Member
16,572 Posts
I have slowed the mouse scroll speed down to alpost zero, but it still jumps around.
OK, the first thing I would try is using a different textured mouse pad, or try the most on various surfaces, preferably any fine weave plain non patterned fabric without any design or a proper 3M or similar mouse pad.

If they don't work, you could try a third party software like SmoothMouse preference pane.
Opps, sorry, I forgot it is no longer being developed and doesn't work in any Mac OS from Sierra and later.

The commercial $20 SteerMouse, is still being developed that might help, and I think they have a trial version. I ended up having to use it with my Logitech mouse when my USB transceiver gave up Logitech no longer supports older Mac OS versions and I am usually using Mavericks 10.9.5. But you will have to check and see if it supports and is compatible with Apple's Magic Mouse.

I think a proper good Mouse pad would be your best solution. Maybe try one of those miniature Persian carpet type mouse pads that might do, but it may slow the mouse down too much as they often do with regular mice. At least the one my wife uses affects my mouse that way.

Good luck.

EDIT:
Opps again... I just noticed that SteerMouse according to their page does not support Apple's Magic Mouse:
(*) It does not support the Apple Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad.

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
43,585 Posts
I have found that no wireless mouse works in my office. Likely due to some interference with the wireless signal from some other equipment. If I just leave the mouse alone, the cursor will slowly move across the screen. After buying several wireless mice, I switched to one with a wire.

Try a wired mouse to see if the problem persists. That will narrow down what's happening.

·
Premium Member
16,572 Posts
After buying several wireless mice, I switched to one with a wire.
I certainly will not disagree that wired USB mice can certainly be more reliable and precise, but I often found that they were limited in the number of buttons or with any supporting software the one could use to customize them with.

Did you have problems with both USB and Bluetooth wireless mice???

I always seem to have had trouble with Bluetooth mice in the they always seem to have a lag or unsuspected movements.

Also, my body doesn't seem to work well with any of Apple's mice or trackpads that rely on body/finger capacitance. Proper buttons work properly, as do proper matching tracking surfaces that can make a huge difference.

I have not tried one of Logitech's "track anywhere" mice but I have read that they may not work with all Mac models for some odd reason.

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
16,572 Posts
I used a USB dongle and also ran directly to Bluetooth. No love from either approach.
Wow... You must have an awful lot of Wireless interference at your workplace in order to disrupt both types of wireless mice.

I had a lady acquaintances I was trying to help with her wireless mouse years ago when they first appeared on the scene that she was having occasional troubles with it that nobody seemed to be able to solve.

I was finally able to solve her problem by discovering it was the motor on her freezer that was next to the wall that was separating her in her computer room. It seems it was sending out disrupting radio signals that was messing with her wireless USB mouse.

I guess offices are often exposed to much more RF interference then any home would normally be, but there is sure enough in most homes to upset them, including motorized appliances, and fluorescent lamps excetera.

Hopefully, Farkey will be able to get their Mouse working properly and let it be known for other's benefit what their solution was.

Nothing more annoying than a jerky and stubborn working mouse.

I had some problems with my Logitech M705 USB wireless mouse that had worked beautifully for years but I had a heck of a time resolving, but finally managed to find it was the USB transmitter dongle that was giving the intermittent problems. Unfortunately the replacement dongle that Logitech supplied was not compatible with the old Logitech Control Center Software and I ended up having to use two different $20 system preferences software to get it working with an older Logitech USB dongle I had for a spare mouse of the same model.

Logitech now only supports mice that use their Options software that requires only the latest Mac OS versions and will not work with earlier Mac OS versions of Mavericks 10.9.x and El Capitan 10.10.x era just in case someone runs into the same problem with their older Logitech Wireless mouse or dongle.

- Patrick
=======

1 - 10 of 10 Posts