Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate being on my track pad.

Been looking for a mouse to replace this very unresponsive portable mouse that's seemingly dating from antiquity. Anyhow, i was in FS ummm... Best Buy yesterday looking and wow... it's a sea of choices. But, I did catch a few from MS that seemed interesting.

Ergo Mouse

Comfort Mouse

Both were comfy. The little rubber section did offer a very comfy grip.

There were a few from Logitech i liked, and i am trying to take this one with me on the road with me. I had seen this one online, but didn't realize how small his ultra thin touch mouse was. But it reminds me too much of the magic mouse though...

Oddly, i'm still a fan of a corded mouse, and with all these models that have a miniature USB receivers, i'm scared i'll just lose it.

What's everyone out here using? Magic Mouse?? I'm not a huge fan...

Side note - they sure have skyrocketed in price since I last bought one.

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Do some research on OSX compatibility. With the 2.4 GHz dongle, wireless mice aren't necessarily as compatible out of the box as a corded mouse.
If you can find a Bluetooth mouse, that can work with the built in Bluetooth on modern Macs, with no USB dongle to eat up a port or get lost.
I still like the corded Microsoft Wheel mouse Optical

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
The first step is to determine which type of mouse user you are: fingertip or palm. (Mouse Grip types)

Fingertip style: In fingertip style palm rests on the table, tips of thumb and ring+5th fingers hold both sides of the mouse. Fingertip style employs actual movement of thumb and ring fingers to move the mouse, as well as some movement of the wrist for larger movements. Also referred to as monkey-claw grip as the index and middle fingers curl up and the very tips of those fingers (the part just below the nails) push the mouse buttons. This style is convenient and natural with a mouse that are low profile, unless you have big hands. Most suitable for this type of grip are all small notebook oriented portable mice and small low arc desktop mouse such as Microsoft Intellimouse Optical, Logitech G1/G3/LX7. Ability to change DPI is important. I think about 3000-4000 dpi are optimal for this type of grip.

Palm style: Palm style is when the palm is anchored on a mouse that has a back, or hump. In this case mouse should be big enough to fill the palm of the user's hand. Thus, palm style involves a full-handed grip, which is, of all styles, the most stable, but arguably also the least precise for small movements.

I am 100% fingertip style for productivity work, and I love the Magic mouse. Since my index finger always covers above the surface of the mouse, I can easily scroll in any direction in a spreadsheet, image, etc. The Magic Mouse is way too small for a palm grip though, and you may want to look at bigger mouse models.

On my Windows Gaming PC, I'm more palm style, and I use a Mionix NAOS mouse, which is very nice. It has removable weights, adjustable DPI and is corded. It has good ergonomics too. It's unlikely you'll find one at a major retail chain, bit NCIX sells them.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
I would vote against the Comfort BlueTooth Mouse you posted, OP. I just returned it last week. I love Microsoft Mice - their Bluetrack tracking tech seems to work the best to me (on many surfaces, shiny and not, etc... Better than Logitech or HP mice I've tried.

The problem with the Comfort Mouse is that it's BIG and HEAVY. It takes 2 AA batteries to power it and it's 2x as heavy as the Mobile Mouse 3500 I use with my mac daily. I wanted the bluetooth tech, but the mouse was too big and heavy to be useful, or quick in my use.

The Ergo Mouse seemed neat - haven't played with it much, but it is on sale at Staples this week for cheaper than BestBuy, AFAIK.

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
I actually like nice and heavy mice. I've always used the original bluetooth mighty mouse which also uses 2 AA batteries.

You really need to test out the mice out there to know which one works for you and also works with OSX. I have a Rapoo bluetooth portable mouse, it's nice and heavy, but it would be choppy on OSX, while working fine in linux or Windows.

·
Premium Member
23,510 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
Whatever happened to trackballs? I recommended them to folks who had carpal-tunnel, arthritis, etc., but they seem to have disappeared from the public consciousness.....

I still use one, also with my android TV set top box.

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
I'm with Sinc on this one. I added the Magic Trackpad to my iMac after I became so used to using one on my rMBP.

I can't imagine going back.

I actually started using my trackpad when my Mighty Mouse stopped working. I had nothing else to use as a replacement except a 3 buttons portable mouse and the Magic Trackpad. I never mind using the one built in my MBP and found it just more practical to use the trackpad on my desk also.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I actually started using my trackpad when my Mighty Mouse stopped working. I had nothing else to use as a replacement except a 3 buttons portable mouse and the Magic Trackpad. I never mind using the one built in my MBP and found it just more practical to use the trackpad on my desk also.
I think I had one for a few weeks. I couldn't imagine using it for PS or anything of the sort. Maybe i need to see someone in action with it but i could not see my self doing any design with it.

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
I think I had one for a few weeks. I couldn't imagine using it for PS or anything of the sort. Maybe i need to see someone in action with it but i could not see my self doing any design with it.

Wacom for drawing. But, my photographer was just using his MBP trackpad for doing his edits.

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
I recently started using the Logitech MX Master and I absolutely love it. It is very comfortable in my opinion and it has the option of either using the tiny USB dongle or using bluetooth.
Originally I loved the Logitech Performance Mouse and at $109 (when I purchased them) they were expensive but good mice. What I found over time was the pads wore funny and the mouse would "stick" rather than slide smooth on my desk. I went though a number of these before I gave the Apple Magic Mouse a fair try. I really liked the bluetooth setup and the swipe and tap features ... couldn't be happier EXCEPT for the same problem the Logitech mice had with the pad wear. It would get to the point were the mouse would be unusable because it was so sticky.

I wasn't aware that Logitech had come out with a new mouse until I came across this thread so I bought one of the MX Masters mainly because of the bluetooth connectablity. Note: the bluetooth connection only works on newer Macs that have LE bluetooth which wasn't my iMac (mid 2011) so after a few frustrating hours trying to figure out why it wasn't being discovered I just ended up using the USB dongle instead.

It took so getting used to over the Magic Mouse but I'm liking it 2 week into using it. Let hope it stays usable, fingers crossed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.