Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since installing OSX 10.8.2, I keep losing my wifi connection whenever the screen blanker kicks in. I would say 'sleep' mode, but there are running applications, such as Google Notifier, and BOINC, yet when the screen blanks I lose my wifi connection, and I have to select my network from the list of visible ones.:(

I didn't have this problem with Lion / OSX 10.7. Is this a bug in ML, or 'just my system' acting up? FWIW this is a Macbook that is barely a couple of years old ... so I doubt it is hardware related.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

·
Registered
250 Posts
You better hope you haven't developed the 'dropped wifi issue'. Here's a nice 164 page thread on it in the Apple support forums. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3191630?start=2445&tstart=0 . I had it with my iMac when I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Lion and it was a nightmare. I still really have no idea how I fixed it. I tried a ton of fixes from that thread, and something eventual stuck. Now I am afraid to update to Mountain Lion in case anything happens again. My WiFi connection was completely useless at one point. It started with drops like you describe, then just non-stop drops.

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
the thread youre linking to is irrelevant. OP has 10.8.2 not 10.7.

thats like telling someone in toronto to take a raincoat and umbrella because you saw on the news that its raining in moose jaw

·
Registered
250 Posts
the thread youre linking to is irrelevant. OP has 10.8.2 not 10.7.

thats like telling someone in toronto to take a raincoat and umbrella because you saw on the news that its raining in moose jaw
If you read the thread at the link instead of being snarky with me for no reason, you'd see the problem is occurring with ML as well. In fact, the thread has picked up in activity with ML.

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
Is this an actual issue of the WiFi connection being cut off in "sleep" mode? I thought it made sense for the WiFi connection to cut off; only to reconnect only after a couple of seconds. I do notice that it still stays connected after about an hour or two of being asleep; but if I have it on sleep for much longer, it usually disconnects.

Considering I don't have much running in the background, this doesn't seem to annoy me. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
I get this happening in mountain lion also. I'm using ps3 media server of majestic to stream video to my ps3 and the iMac will go TK sleep and the connection gets lost. I end up running caffeine to keep it awake but its annoying

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you read the thread at the link instead of being snarky with me for no reason, you'd see the problem is occurring with ML as well. In fact, the thread has picked up in activity with ML.
The individual who identifies himself as 'broad' is an excellent example of what they call an 'Apple fanboy'. I am not. I switched to Apple because I detest Windows.

Rather that offer assistace to someone, he displays an arrogance which seems to be the epitome of Apple 'fanboyness'.

Thanks to people like this, and Apple's recent behaviors, I intend to switch to another OS.

I appreciate your comments, and this assures me that at least, I am not the only one with this problem. With Lion, it would remember and connect to my default (my own) network. Now with ML, it constantly forces me to select among the available networks.

I don't know if this is a bug, but, I shall certainly refer to the links that you have so kindly provided.
Thank you 'tdu'

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I get this happening in mountain lion also. I'm using ps3 media server of majestic to stream video to my ps3 and the iMac will go TK sleep and the connection gets lost. I end up running caffeine to keep it awake but its annoying
Is there no other way to correct this, or is caffeine the only viable solution (at this moment)?
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
Afaik this is the only solution but I haven't spent much time on it admittedly. I'm hoping apple will spurt out a patch of something soon. A minor inconvenience compared to some other troubles.

·
Premium Member
16,156 Posts
The individual who identifies himself as 'broad' is an excellent example of what they call an 'Apple fanboy'. I am not. I switched to Apple because I detest Windows.

Rather that offer assistace to someone, he displays an arrogance which seems to be the epitome of Apple 'fanboyness'.

Thanks to people like this, and Apple's recent behaviors, I intend to switch to another OS.

I appreciate your comments, and this assures me that at least, I am not the only one with this problem. With Lion, it would remember and connect to my default (my own) network. Now with ML, it constantly forces me to select among the available networks.

I don't know if this is a bug, but, I shall certainly refer to the links that you have so kindly provided.
Thank you 'tdu'

Just ignore "broad" unless he/she has something constructive to say and has been chastised and penalized by the ehmac mayor several times now and not a normal Mac user helper with his/her comments.

I don't normally use ML, and the trouble you and many other's are experiencing would drive me crazy.

I searched on your subject 'Mountain Lion loses wifi connection when in 'sleep' mode' and like many hits, I don't have a suggested solution but something like our house builder some years ago would just say "Sh*t Happens" when something went goofy. Not the most satisfaction of answers but things got resolved in the end.

And with the latest ML update wi-fi/sleep problem so wide spread, I'm sure that Apple will provide a fix and you won't need to switch to another OS.

Besides which, doing so can have other problems to contend with.

I'm just wondering if disabling or changing any Energy Saver, screen saver or other "sleep" options would help solve the problem, as from the various discussions they seem to be somewhat related. Hmmm...?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just ignore "broad" unless he/she has something constructive to say and has been chastised and penalized by the ehmac mayor several times now and not a normal Mac user helper with his/her comments.

I don't normally use ML, and the trouble you and many other's are experiencing would drive me crazy.

I searched on your subject 'Mountain Lion loses wifi connection when in 'sleep' mode' and like many hits, I don't have a suggested solution but something like our house builder some years ago would just say "Sh*t Happens" when something went goofy. Not the most satisfaction of answers but things got resolved in the end.

And with the latest ML update wi-fi/sleep problem so wide spread, I'm sure that Apple will provide a fix and you won't need to switch to another OS.

Besides which, doing so can have other problems to contend with.

I'm just wondering if disabling or changing any Energy Saver, screen saver or other "sleep" options would help solve the problem, as from the various discussions they seem to be somewhat related. Hmmm...?
First of all THANK YOU for your kind and thoughtful response:

1) I have seriously considered installing ubuntu linux since it does work with my Macbook and native support for my iPhone is constantly improving.
I do not use Windows, and my reason for switching to Apple was my dislike for' that other company'.
HOWEVER, the very 'fanboyism'' that I have cited above has given me an increasing distaste for the Apple community.

2) WRT the problem with ML, I am using 'Caffeine' as recommended by someone else in this thread. From your comments and those of others in this thread, it confirms that I am not the only one with this problem. AFAIK, Apple has not released a fix nor addressed this problem.
... Kindly correct me if I am in error WRT the current situation.

3) The only reason keeping me with Apple, its products and services is my iPhone 3GS. I have not installed / am extremely wary of IOS 6.0, so the phone remains at IOS 5.1

respectfully and cordially

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts

Thank you 'tdu'
its funny to me that you call my response arrogant. you were the one in other thread earlier that day who 110% arrogantly replied "NO, it's definitely alt / option + command +Power" when G-mo tried to politely suggest that the key command you *thought* you were using didn't exist (which it doesn't, BTW)

you get back what you put out there...something to think about.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
its funny to me that you call my response arrogant. you were the one in other thread earlier that day who 110% arrogantly replied "NO, it's definitely alt / option + command +Power" when G-mo tried to politely suggest that the key command you *thought* you were using didn't exist (which it doesn't, BTW)

you get back what you put out there...something to think about.
I used block caps to emphasise the word "no". YOU decided to interpret it as arrogance.
In my post had I said simply said the option key, perhaps I was mistaken. However, I took the time to LOOK at the key, thus in my post I specifically said the alt / control key.

Unlike you I am no "Apple expert". The same problem occurred again and I got the machine to start with the very same combination of alt/ option + command +power on. It could be possible that in MOUNTAIN LION the keybindings may have been changed. I am not privy to the arcana of Apple's OS, nor their software development policies.

I pointedly ignored your comment before but its clear that you may be spoiling for a fight. J am not interested in engaging in a flame war with you.

Whether you are an Apple zealot or harlot is none of my concern, and no one is forcing you to respond to my post. By comparison, other people who commented did not take the same tone that you have taken, and are again displaying.

I have taken the time (...wasted my time actually) to show you the courtesy of a response.
Kindly refrain from commenting on any of my posts, in future. THANK YOU.

You are welcome to exercise your agressive nature elsewhere and with other members of this forum. I couldn't care less.

Perhaps you are some big shot at Apple or one of it's shareholders. Well good for you. Your attitude does give that company some rather interesting publicity.

I must not forgot to thank you for giving me a good and full taste of what it is to deal with an Apple fanboy.

Have a very good day!

·
Premium Member
16,156 Posts
I'm not getting involved in the flaming but just maybe a different keyboard is being used as not all keyboards have the same layout or names on the keys. ;)

·
Registered
250 Posts
For your OP problem, maybe, just maybe the suggested fix(s) may just work?

Fix OS X Mountain Lion Wireless Connection Problems

And I don't see how it related to the problem, but try disabling your screen saver in System Preferences. After all, it's not really needed these days.
After having the problem off and on on a 2011 iMac through Lion, and now into Mountain Lion I can also give 3 other solutions that seem to work for pretty much everyone.

1. Buy a little USB WiFi Adapter
2. Use an ethernet cable and don't use wireless
3. In a lot of cases switching to an Apple router works.

I know, it's ridiculous 'fixes' for computers costing this much money. If you read through some of the threads and see how long people have been trying to solve the problem though, you'd see why people just give up though. I just went with solution 2 eventually.

As for why I don't take it to an Apple store? Numerous people in those threads have taken their systems in only to be told the problem doesn't exist. I did call AppleCare and was told the same thing. I am not lugging a 27" iMac to the AppleStore just to be told there is no problem.

Also, as with most other people in those threads I have numerous other devices running on my network that have no issues whatsoever. This problem obviously doesn't happen to everyone, but man-o-man if you are one of people it does happen to, it sucks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I'm not getting involved in the flaming but just maybe a different keyboard is being used as not all keyboards have the same layout or names on the keys. ;)
I am using a Macbook. Memory fails me at the moment, but it's possible that I might have selected Canadian English rather than US English (the default) when I did my clean install of ML. (After all I am in Canada! :D )
BTW, and WRT to 'flaming': you and others on this board have been polite and helpful. The individual to whom I was referring is the first and only one who has displayed such a corrosive attitude.

... and 'before I forget my manners'... Thank you!;)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After having the problem off and on on a 2011 iMac through Lion, and now into Mountain Lion I can also give 3 other solutions that seem to work for pretty much everyone.

1. Buy a little USB WiFi Adapter
2. Use an ethernet cable and don't use wireless
3. In a lot of cases switching to an Apple router works.

I know, it's ridiculous 'fixes' for computers costing this much money. If you read through some of the threads and see how long people have been trying to solve the problem
/SNIP (edited)

my network that have no issues whatsoever. This problem obviously doesn't happen to everyone, but man-o-man if you are one of people it does happen to, it sucks.
I was directed to a couple of solutions. One which appears to work: is to drop the MTU from 1500 to 1493. I could follow your #1. suggestion above, as I do have a USB Wifi adapter, but I had no such problem with Lion OS/X 10.7, so this verily seems to be a problem with ML.

At least, I'm assured that I am NOT the only one with the problem:D ... though I make allowance that my connection may be 'flaky'. Nevertheless, I do NOT encounter the problem with my linux netbook (ubuntu 12.4) which is right beside the Macbook on my desk.

Thank you for your help.

·
}<-('o')-
9,918 Posts
Luigino, count me in as another one experiencing the exact same problem with Mountain Lion.

I have a Mac Pro running ML that has just started the same misbehaviour (why just lately and not immediately upon ML installation?) The other weird thing is that sometimes it will not complete the page loading at all and then hours later, with no system changes whatsoever, it will seem to work fine. Then, the next day it's back to hardly working at all. I've tried to determine a pattern, but so far, there seems to be none.

I also have a Macbook Air running Snow Leopard from the exact same location, and there is no wifi connectivity or page loading issues at all.

I'll try some of the suggested fixes and hopefully one will do until a better solution materializes. It is very frustrating to have my main machine so erratically dysfunctional.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.