Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I keep getting the helpful reminders from Apple that they are shutting down mobile me and that if I want to keep the coordinating functionality I need to move to iCloud. I know there is a workaround to use iCloud with 10.6.x and that 10.7.x is a hit and miss so I thought I'd see if there's any word if mountain lion is supposed to be out before mobile me ends.

I hate being forced into a change but if I must then at least I'd rather not move twice if I can wait it out and only have to move once to 10.8.

I know nobody knows for sure but thought I'd ask

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
I moved everything I wanted to keep off MobileMe months ago to an external HD. Am now on Lion and use the Cloud partially, but my old MM stuff is not on the Cloud.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Mobile Me ends at the end of June. Mountion Lion will be out some time after that.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Just came across this scenario with a customer. (Was funny, I was doing some Google searches on ehMac for Lion and Mobile Me, and this thread came up) :eek:

Elderly lady had iMac from 2007, Intel Core Duo with 1GB RAM running 10.5. Did all her email on MobileMe. Put her in a bad position. To do it according to Apple, she needs to upgrade her RAM, go to Snow Leopard, then go to Lion just to continue using her @Mac.com address.

Can you tell me more about this workaround to use iCloud with 10.6?

Is there any workaround for 10.5? :heybaby: :)

The whole iTools -> .Mac -> Mobile Me -> iCloud strategy with dumping things like iDisk and iWeb Publishing has been quite a roller-coaster. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not so concerned with keeping stuff on mobile me, but I must remember to redirect a domain name I have pointed there. I have some stuff on iDisk but mostly as duplicates so not worried there.

I'm mostly concerned with the iCal/bookmarks etc. coordination that keeps this house of far too many iOS and OS X devices all in sync with each other. As I understand it, all of that moves to iCloud right?

So, Lars, I guess I either have to give up a coordinated life for a while until Mountain Lion or upgrade OSs twice? Rats and fishes!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While I am remis to point to another forum since I can't put my finger on where I read about the 10.6 workaround the first time I found this on macrumors that apparently works.

It's not comprehensive and might not address the mail issue. No idea about 10.5 though.

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
Just came across this scenario with a customer. (Was funny, I was doing some Google searches on ehMac for Lion and Mobile Me, and this thread came up) :eek:

Elderly lady had iMac from 2007, Intel Core Duo with 1GB RAM running 10.5. Did all her email on MobileMe. Put her in a bad position. To do it according to Apple, she needs to upgrade her RAM, go to Snow Leopard, then go to Lion just to continue using her @Mac.com address.

Is there any workaround for 10.5? :heybaby: :)

The whole iTools -> .Mac -> Mobile Me -> iCloud strategy with dumping things like iDisk and iWeb Publishing has been quite a roller-coaster. :rolleyes:
iCloud as a whole is barely functional on 10.7 where its *supposed* to work. i can only imagine the gong show it would be on 10.6 with a bunch of duct tape and chewing gum-med together remedies haha

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
iCloud as a whole is barely functional on 10.7 where its *supposed* to work. i can only imagine the gong show it would be on 10.6 with a bunch of duct tape and chewing gum-med together remedies haha
Ha Ha.. :lmao: :lmao: :clap: I lol'd. :D

G

·
I just read somewhere today that Apple is offering MM customers that are still on 10.5 a free 10.6 upgrade (but they still have to pay for 10.7). I moved all of my stuff off of MM quite a while back. The only thing I ever really depending on with MM was syncing of contacts, calendars and bookmarks. iCloud is still pathetically bad at all of the above so I now run my own server for calendar and contacts and cross my fingers when it comes to bookmarks (and keep backups of the bookmarks). Just this week I lost one whole folder full of bookmarks to iCloud. They duplicated on one of my machines (I had 2 identical folders) ... I deleted one of them and on next sync lost that whole folder across all my machines. Too bad Steve is not still around to go a have a good yell at them because it's looking a lot like iCloud is working a lot like MM did -- in that it's not improving.

·
Premium Member
17,980 Posts
I just logged into the me.com page (which I rarely do, IMAP-ing my email to my laptop) and was greeted by the free OS 10.6 offer. I'll take the free disc, thank-you, it may come in handy for future troubleshooting needs.

I think I only have one more website to move to a new host and I'll be done with the last things that are keeping me from embracing the iCloud... Sadly, none of my iOS devices are capable of anything higher than iOS 3.1.3 :(

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
Sigh, I just spent $33.59 on Snow Leopard last weekend.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
I would, but I'm not an iCloud holdout either. lol.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
You get what you pay for.. as in free is never an answer.
but don't be left out iCloud users.. Gmail was down again as well.. LOL

G

·
This is patent nonsense and sounds like ignorance talking.

100M users and growing ...
More users doesn't mean better performance.

chas_m, do you actually USE iCloud on Lion across multiple machines? Doubtful with a response like you just made. As much as it pains me I have to agree with broad on that one from the lack of reliability I'm seeing on my setups here (currently 2 of 5 machines are "out of sync").

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
This is patent nonsense and sounds like ignorance talking.

100M users and growing ...
Lol so because a lot of people use it it automatically makes it good? does that mean windows is a good os because a lot of people use it, too?

Dude you're so out to lunch it's not even funny. Do a quick google for "iCloud sync issues" or the like. There are countless threads on the apple support forums (and elsewhere) with pages and pages of people experiencing sync troubles.

I pity the people in your little Mac user group who might actually believe the misguided and misinformed "info" that you spew

1 - 20 of 27 Posts