Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New G4 Procesors today, MP7447 and 7457.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Paragraph One: AUSTIN, Texas - February 10, 2003 - The newest and fastest members of the Motorola, Inc. (NYSE:MOT) G4 family of PowerPC® processors, the MPC7457 and MPC7447, are now available. The devices run at speeds up to 1.3 GHz, making them the highest performing G4 host processors available for embedded applications.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>basic Changes: The MPC7457 is designed to reach speeds of 1.3 GHz with a core voltage of 1.3V and includes 512KB of on-chip L2 cache (a 2X increase over the MPC7455's L2 cache), with support for up to 2MB of backside L3 cache.

The MPC7447 processor delivers the same performance and features as the MPC7457, except that it does not provide backside L3 cache support
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

See the full press release here:
http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/detail/0,1958,2322_1901_23,00.html

--PB

·
Registered
141 Posts
As a Mac fan since I started using computers, even *I* find it sad that a 50Mhz speed bump is news worthy...

More and more, Intel chips looks better to put inside apple hardware (at least until IBM gets their Power4 out the door...)

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but if the current shipping Apple chips are 1.25, and these top out at 1.3, what's the news? Am I misunderstanding something here?

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
"Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but if the current shipping Apple chips are 1.25"

The current chips are running at 1.42 GHz G4 processors. How are slower chips news worthy? Then again, these "new" G4 processors, may be faster processor wise, excluding megahertz.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Lars
Mot keeps releasing updates to thier embedded market such as routers or other embedded apps, this isnt much news for Mac stuff

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
What a yawn. There is no "news" here. Keep moving people...nuthin' to see here. :rolleyes:

Every time I see a speed "bump" I get depressed. These so-called bumps are nothing more than pot-holes. :mad:

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
I was just thinking that would be true to.
A 1.33 ghz PB would be pretty amazing even by intel standards

·
Registered
136 Posts
the 7455 that runs at 1.42 was an upclock while the 7457 is a entry at 1.33.

Correct? Im not totally sure, but it seems to be that the 1.33 chip will be upclocked significantly in the next coming months, being it debuts at 1.33.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The biggest deal in the annoucement is that they finally have a G4 that has more than just a 256K L2 cache. To put it in familiar terms, when the iBooks changed from the PPC750cx G3 with 256K L2 cache to the newer PPC750FX G3 with 512K L2 cache, some benchmarks put it as high as 25% faster at the same clock speed.

The 600 MHz iBook that I have is around 35% slower one processor heavy tasks than the 700 MHz iBook that my friend has (which also has the QE advantage that mine does not).

Combine this with the larger 2MB L3 cache and you have a real speed demon on your hands.

I didn;t read whether the FSB is DDR or not, or if it is faster than 167, but either way this is an important step, and one that could help Motorolla keep supplying low end processors to Apple.

--PB

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
1.3 GHz G3? I thought they announced G4 processors for the "embedded" market?

a 1.33 GHz G4 iBook? Now that could be newsworthy...

:cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts