Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to Korean Macusers discussion forum, Motorola has stopped manufacturing PowerPC G4 CPU. Is this true? If so this rumour implies significant prediction about which CPU is employed for next new iBook upgrade. Any official information?

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Moto stopped making the MPC7455 CPU, and started making the MPC7457 CPU. The latter is an updated version of the former, they are both G4s.

That was the latest I heard.

--PB

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Sorry modesty, I doubt Motorola has stopped manufacturing the G4. The G4 is currently in use in the eMac, iMac (a new iMac was just announnced this week) and Powerbook. Apple has already stated that a G5 Powerbook is not coming soon, so the next version of the Powerbook will have a faster G4. The G4 is here to stay for at least another 6-7 months if not longer.

I'm not sure if Apple has switched yet to the MPC7457. The MPC7457 was rumored to have a faster bus - 200Mhz instead of the current 167Mhz.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Nah, it doesn't make sense. Apple wouldn't announce new G4 iMacs if Motorola was canning the G4.

I don't know what's holding up new Powerbooks, but I doubt it's the G4.

·
Premium Member
30,885 Posts

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Oh, okay. I see what your saying. It might be possible, but I would have assumed Apple had pre-production MPC7457 samples months ago. But who knows. Also, I'm not sure Posterboy is correct about Moto stopping production of MPC7455s. If that's true, what's in the new iMacs, the current eMacs, current G4 Towers, and current Powerbooks? The MPC7457? I haven't heard of a switch. Or are they using stock-piled 7455s.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts