Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to Motorola, their latest G5 processor -- the 970 G5 processor, is according to their press team, clocked to 1.8 GHz.

What do you think, is this a move Apple should consider, and leave the IBM processors behind?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I thought that the Power PC 970 chip was a 64bit IBM chip? That's what the newest issue of Macworld talks about. 1.8 GHz still isn't enough horsepower, Apple just trumped the PC laptop crowd, let's do it to the desktop crowd as well.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Yes, there's definitely something wrong there. The PowerPC 970 is an IBM 64-bit chip. As I heard it, the only G5 chip Motorola has is an embedded processor (PowerPC 7500). It was rumored there was going to be a desktop G5 processor, the PowerPC 8500, but it apparently never came to be. Have you got a link?

Also, if Apple was to leave the G3 behind (which is an IBM chip), wouldn't they go to the G4 chip?

I also haven't heard of Motorola getting ANY chip to 1.8 Ghz. IBM's PowerPC 970 is supposed to scale to 1.8 GHz initially.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Kosh wrote:
Yes, there's definitely something wrong there. The PowerPC 970 is an IBM 64-bit chip. As I heard it, the only G5 chip Motorola has is an embedded processor (PowerPC 7500). It was rumored there was going to be a desktop G5 processor, the PowerPC 8500, but it apparently never came to be. Have you got a link?

After poking around the Motorola website, I found some information about the following PowerPC processors:

MPC 7xxx host processors

MPC8xxx integrated host processors

It looks as if none of the Motorola parts go above 1GHz[1], so I doubt Motorola has a 1.8GHz chip up their sleeve.

Also, if Apple was to leave the G3 behind (which is an IBM chip), wouldn't they go to the G4 chip?

I can't see Apple moving the iBooks from a G3 to a G5 (if it exists) overnight, that's for sure :D

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Yeah, the 970 is an IBM chip, as is the current G3 (PowerPC 750FX). More than likely, we'd see the PowerMacs go G5 first, followed by the PowerBooks, and then see the iMac/eMac get the better G4's right after that (the ones with l3 caches. The iBook would hopefully go G4 at that point too.

But I am content to wait and find out.

Oh, and the Motorolla 85xx was supposed to be the G5 originally, but it well, wont be.

--PB

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Even with a G5, I'm not sure that the Laptops lineup would change so quickly. I would maybe expect a tower announcement in the next 6 months, but the laps should stay stabe for a minute. The lineup is pretty deep: 3 iBooks, 3 pBooks. Something for err-body's budget. The press has been too overwhelmingly ++. If anything, 1 of them might go to iHeaven soon...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts