Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using Apple computers for a long time. My first was an Apple II, and I taught in a school that had SE's and SE/30's from about 1989 to 1991. I bought my first Mac five years ago when the Rev.C (coloured, 266mhz) iMacs came out... I got a great deal at Costco and ended up paying $1199.00 for the machine, a Rev. B iMac. The Apple dealer in Saskatoon was still charging over $1500 for the same machine. I loved that computer and babied it.

Bought an Epson Stylus Color 740 printer shortly afterward followed by a Umax Astra 1220u scanner. When I came to the realization that 32MB of RAM wasn't a ton I added 128MB. I remember the awe I felt of the innards of the machine the first time I took it apart. Soon after I added another 128MB and the machine purred along. I then bought a usb burner and got into burning things. Next was a digital camera, a Kodak DC 3900 3.1 Megapixel camera, and a 4.1 speaker set from Altec Lansing. Then a Canon ZR 40 digital camcorder.

At this point I decided I needed an upgrade and bought a B&W G3 (which I had since October and just sold this week). I let my 3 year old son take over the iMac and took on the B&W G3. Then the iMac died, and thanks to imactheknife I got an absolutely great buy on an AGP G4 (Sawtooth).

Anyway, the point of this post is the sadness of having to let my original Mac go. Tried to sell the dead iMac and it was worth virtually nothing. Sold the two sticks of RAM, the CD-drive and carcass for close to $200. I honestly did not want to take the machine apart and felt that the machine should have been sold as an intact unit...sad that it was worth much more in pieces than in one piece. That is the brunt of this post, felt bad to take it apart and sell it piece by piece. I drive $35,000 worth of an automobile and could care less if I was driving something else tomorrow...but that nearly five year old computer that wasn't working...hard to see it go. Still have the stickers that came with it.

Anyone else have trouble parting with their first Mac?

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
I still have my Mac Plus, although it's CRT has been removed and I traded the KB & mouse (special kind, not ADB) for software.

I always meant to build a MacQuarium out of it, but I don't really like fish in tanks so maybe it will be a MacTerrarium instead.

The CRT from the Plus is still working away though, I needed it to fix my SE/30 which I still have.

·
Palindromic Pooch
10,621 Posts
I haven't been able to bring myself to get rid of my first Mac (a Classic), or any of my other Macs for that matter. Because it was easy to move from room to room, I wrote 2/3 of my Master's thesis on it, hiding from the kids in half-hour chunks. This was in 2000, when it was already 9 years old. It also came camping with us, since we didn't have a Powerbook at the time. My son used it after that, until I was able to give him something newer. I put a 500MB drive in it and maxed out the RAM (4MB!). It's still in the spare room, hooked up and ready to go the next time I get the urge to play Dark Castle.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I can relate. I still have my first Mac though and I think about if I ever had to get rid of it - I really don't think I'd be able to.

Mine is a Bondi iMac (233 rev A) and right now it's parked in my kitchen. The hard drive is full with school projects, but once I get them burned to cd and clear the drive a bit I'll be giving my Bondi to my grandparents to use for email, games and light surfing. I hope it never dies.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
My first is a LC 630. It is nicely wrapped up and stored in the basement. Don't quite know what to do with it.
My second, a PM7300/200 is on its way home after my brother in law used it for web surfing for the past year.
It still rocks in OS9 and I think I will look for software for it so my little girl can use it in a year or so.
Robert

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
I know how you feel, mmp.

Our first home computer was a Performa 5200 which we bought in 1995 and we still own. It's a "road apple" but what an experience it was to use and upgrade over the years. All my friends bought WIN95 machines and I never regretted buying a Mac, ever.

It originally had 16MB of RAM running OS7.5, had an external 14.4 modem and we started to surf the internet with it. It was always fun to use and surfing the net with Mac Netscape or IE always had it's problems, especially when filling out forms and the websites not recognizing the letters. Even used Apple's first browser, Cyberdog. Dog slow (pun) but what an economical interface! Configuring the Mac for internet providers was always a challenge, usually it had to be done manually; it made me dig into control panels and interfaces that I previously didn't touch.

When I installed 32 MB of ram, a 33.6 modem and OS8 I thought I had a speed demon. Over time I found it easier to configure the way I wanted, unlike my experiences with Windows and Intel chips, always having to figure what went wrong or got corrupted in the config.sys files and BIOS.

I've had chances to give it away, since it is worth practically nothing. To me, it's still my baby. It's latest configration is with a 5400 motherboard and 30G HD in it. It runs Microsoft Office really well and I still have an Epson Stylus 800 to print stuff. I turn it on occasionally and get the pink screen for a time, but I just can't part with it or throw it out. *sigh* And, never will.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
The hardest one for me to part with was my 3RD Mac - a B&W Yosemite. It wasn't hard to let go of the Mac IIfx or the PPC 7600. But it was sad to see old Blue go... however, at least it left in one piece.

·
Registered
350 Posts
My first Mac is the same one : a Performa 5200CD that shipped with 8 MB of RAM and a 800 MB hard drive. It's now stored in a closet.

I've upgraded it to 48 MB RAM and OS 8.1-I was so pleased with the new interface and the 3D icons for the hard drive! :D

I've discovered the Internet, played games endless hours, wrote all of my bachelor studies essays and my master thesis with that baby (there's even a dedication to this Performa in the Acknowledgment section of my master thesis).

I don't want to part with it : my master thesis is still on the hard drive and I don't know anyone with a Mac with a floppy drive and a CD burner who could help me backup this precious work and make it readable on my iBook.

Now it's dog slow surfing the Internet, even with iCab. That's why I don't even consider giving it to my mother, who is computer illeterate.

Maybe a 5400 board would give him a new life. Problem is I don't know if the operation is as easy as swapping the motherboards.

Anyway, I liked that machine so much that I was a bit surprised when I learned it was considered a Road Apple. ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yep.
My first computer was the first Mac model. 128 k of RAM; system, apps and documents on a 400k floppy - including Word.

Changed my life.
(But unlike Doctorow, I didn't get the tatoo.)
I used that first computer for 10 years or so, until it was basically a typewriter.
Only Mac I haven't sold.
(Stashed it in the folk's basement in the Queen City.)

·
Premium Member
1,435 Posts
I'm having trouble getting my first Mac.

A mere five grand... a trifle!

Mind you, once I get it, I'll be a Mac t-shirt wearing, smiling fool. Until then, I endure W2K...

·
Registered
60 Posts
I too loved my first Mac, and it wasn't even an Apple! I bought it during Apple's dark "clone" days of Amelio. She was a Umax SuperMac J700. I named her "Elsie" after one of her predecessors (LC) Elsie
I loaded her up to the gills with graphics software and she didn't complain. She worked hard late into the night on design and publishing projects that stretched her abilities (and 2 GB hard drive) to the limit, and she toughed it out. Good company, good machine (although not to Apple's level once it rose from the ashes.)
I eventually sold Elsie to a close friend of mine - someone I knew would take good care of her, and she's still going!
Rock on, Elsie!
You're a lady. :cool:

·
Registered
802 Posts
Last week I sold my sweetie - a Duo 280c. I didn't use it much but I would find myself packing it around for the joy of it. It's gome to a good home in Ontario. If you see it - say Hi from me.

·
Registered
728 Posts
i love my antique macs too. they brought me so much joy!from my very first email over bbs, to meeting one of my ex girlfriends over the net 10 years ago (internet dating then still makes me smile now). the first colour photo on screen (wow!), playing music CDs and laser printing me and my brother's homework, papers and through university to med school, all part of our growing up....too much emotions.
my LC 575 is still being used for some minor office files up until 6 months ago, i love the fact of storing files on floppies, this is excellent security cause it will be tough to find a mac running OS7 with floppies and old versions of word 5 and claris. I still have clients in awe when they saw this mac575 running side by side my powerbook and G4 on cinema displays, the screensaver on it says:
'Simplicity is the greatest sophistication. Reality is undeniable'.
i got an etherent card but cannot get it working, if someone here can help, i shall be very grateful.
my other beloved LCIII is quietly retiring in the basement, the internal battery has stopped but the machine boots fine. i remember those macs back then kicking pc 486s with ease of use, the graphical interface and the MOUSE (feels so funny and hard to control)! i spent a day to learn the animated tutorial, drag and drop, folders and all, KB shortcuts etc. these all seem just like yesterday.
on the other hand i've sold the laserwriters and modems. i have no plans for them now, but one thing is they are not going to the sidewalk. rollee

[ February 20, 2004, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: rollee ]

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
mmp you may take condolence in the fact that one of the memory chips, the 128MB chip - if and when it ever gets here - will be lovingly installed in my first iMac (not my first mac, just my first iMac). You can mourn your dead system but also know that a part of it will still live on, bringing new life to another ...

I don't have my first Mac anymore - I live and breathe in a deadline based business and the quicker the system the quicker I am. My first Mac, a beautiful system (in my eyes) was a 7200/90. Purchased for way more than I could afford at the time, and surprised that I had to buy the keyboard seperately, this system was a dream. So much nicer looking than the plain PC's I was using up to date - two latches to push and complete and easy access to the whole system, it was fast, the software easy to use, compatability with service bureaus (BIG PLUS) was dead on. That PPC served me faithfully for 3 years (not bad when my previous PCs would last 6 months to a year before I felt it needed to be upgraded). Eventually it got to the point were it started to feel slow and tired, even though I had upgraded everything I could ... MacDoc sold me on upgrading it to a 7300/G3 and the rest is history ...

·
Registered
22 Posts
The first Mac I ever owned was a rev. B iMac. I sold it in 2000 to a friend of mine at university, and she's still using it. I had no qualms about it, because my dear Spes got a good home and I converted someone to the Mac in the process!

Still, if Hilary ever looks at upgrading, I'll probably make an offer to take back my old iMac from her...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've been using Macs since 1984 when my dad got a Mac Plus but oddly enough, I never bought one for myself until this past fall when I got a G5.

I honestly can't see myself selling the G5 ever; by the time it is completely useless it won't be worth any money. A few years down the road it will still make a great server, or perhaps just hook it up to my stereo and use it as a repository of digital music.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
My first mac was an iBook g3/900 - I loved the machine for the fist 4 months that I had it. But since it has not worked since January 14th I've been using a Beige G3/266 my mother purchased off ebay - now it is an AMAZING machine. I love it - I love it soo much i'm getting myself one ASAP!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts