Registered
438 Posts
for reviews, macworld
for everything else, macaddict

:D

·
Registered
590 Posts
I agree, also since MacHome was redone earlier this year I also find it useful. It isn't plastic wrapped so you can scan it to see if what is in the particular issue is useful to you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ya, Macaddict I would agree with that.

How come there isn't a really good Canadian Mac mag? I know it's not a huge market, but if it was a mag that included graphic design, video, gaming all in one, it might fly. I'd buy it.

Not to sound like I bashing Apple or anything, but as a loyal group of users we sometimes seem to get shuffled to the back as far as promos and such, maybe I'm just peeved because I just saw some of the U.S prices on the new stuff :confused: Hey is our dollar worth more than the big greenback yet??
:D

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Depending on the information you area looking for, I read MacWorld UK (much more in-depth than the US version), as well as MacDesign. MacAddict used to be a good magazine (I still have their first issue), but has since been taking slow downward spriral -- they're beginning to repeat themselves and useful content is getting thinner. Or, I've been growing beyond it's core focus group...

Although not necessarily Mac-based, I also read ComputerArts, 3d world, DV and Photoshop User. All typically contain 50% Mac related items, but are more focused on the creative industry as a whole.

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
For graphics,
Macdesign is a great mag-bimonthly though
also out of the UK is a mag that deals with
one software appl. per issue. This month it is
photoshop 7. excellent but pricey Mag + cd =$19
Macaddict and Macworld are next to useless now
with the internet and that both mags have on-line sties.
Gone are the days of quality reviews and the Macworld/Macuser wars.
I only buy these mags if there is really good articles/comparisons. Otherwise, its a sunday afternoon at the library/chapters for a quick read.
Robert

·
Registered
259 Posts
Gotta love those free subscriptions when one registers a Mac, etc!

It gives the original purchase way more value -- keeps on giving and giving.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm looking for a mag that will both teach me tips and tricks on Macs, especially for a new user. I'm also interested in reviews on Mac-related products. Looks like MacWorld, MacHome and MacAddict are the chosen ones.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
For hints/tips: There are many sites on the web like macosxhints.com and if you ever have questions and such there is always here. I know I haven't touched a Mac Magazine in over a year (not having a subscription and not stopping at the public library being the main causes) and I'm doing just fine. Also check your local library and see if they have some of the Mac OS X books that are popping up, some of them are really, really good.

EDIT: TPYOS... grrr...

[ May 24, 2003, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: Chealion ]

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
I think paper magazines are a rip-off nowadays. I still have some old MacUser and MacWorld Mags and they had alot more content and were alot better in the old days.

Nowadays, I visit www.Maccentral.com www.macnn.com www.macfixit.com and a few rumor sites. You get the news months in advance.

If your looking for reviews, I'm sure there are a few sites online, like www.insidemacgames.com for games and game related hardware reviews, www.xlr8yourmac.com , and probably many other sites. I like Tom's Hardware page for reviews, too, but it's a PC site - good for those new video cards that haven't yet been announced on the Mac.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
I think paper magazines are a rip-off nowadays. I still have some old MacUser and MacWorld Mags and they had alot more content and were alot better in the old days.

Nowadays, I visit www.Maccentral.com www.macnn.com www.macfixit.com and a few rumor sites. You get the news months in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
I use to buy mac magazines, but not in the last couple of years, it just doesnt seem worth $10 for a handful of review and a smattering of articles, and some sharare and demos on a cd.
I used to be a big Macaddict fan a few years ago, I would say that the best Mac magazine is the UK Macworld, it really is much better.
If you want tips for the general level user get the book Mac OsX the Missing Manual by David Pogue, 2nd edition it is really great for beginners and intermediate users with tons of useful information completely explained.

·
Registered
227 Posts
mac addict all the way!! if you get a subscription the issues become very cheap. there is also a website called ehmac.ca that you can learn alot from...i have.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
The best Mac magazines appear to be in the UK. MacWorld, MacUser (bi-weekly) and MacFormat. Even at the outrageous exchange rate they are still cheaper here in England than the equivalent magazines in Canada. In Canada, MacHome has definitely improved and I must admit, even being a long-time Mac user, I always fiind it informative. It also doesn't come (and inflate the price) with those useless CD accompanying the magazines.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
In order of staying power (i.e. you can read the mag over and over again while sitting on the toilet and still uncover great Mac news)

1. MacWorld UK
2. MacAddict
3. MacUser (yeah....it's long gone now, but I still have every issue and LOVE reading about the Macs from that era....man....how far we've come!)

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Macformat, which is a UK mag and Macaddict for me. I found the CD's with MacFormat useful, all the demos and updates were there, I didn't have to download them with my 14.4 modem. (start maudlin music now) Some stuff for 680XX processors... the PowerPC chip was new then... and MacAddict wasn't around then. Macaddict changed when it was acquired by the dark side, it's sister mag is MaximumPC and has the same irreverent tone. The styles are similar.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Used to love MacAddict, but now prefer Mac Design and MacFormat.

Still buy MacAddict though and the occasional MacWorld.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
The best Graphic Mag {Mainly Mac, but PC too.} was the then defunct "Before & After... How to design cool stuff... I heard it was relaunching but I have not subscribed yet... http://www.pagelab.com/

Printed Magazines suffer from time lag. Everything is written 2 months ahaed and ends up being out of date or wishfull thinking...

I used to read MacUser/MacWorld and MacAddict.... both switch now between apologizing for Apples mistakes or groveling at Jobs' feet. Just propoganda...

Best source of reviews and info is gleamed from user forums, and the od rumour site.

ehmac.ca is by far the best canadian content I've found...
Take a bow everybody...

after that, User Forums
www.Quark.com
www.Adobe.com
www.macfixit.com

NEWS:
http://maccentral.macworld.com/ {Official Press Releases}
www.thinksecret.com {unofficial Rumours}
www.nakednews.com {once in a while, cause I'm a guy...}

·
Registered
383 Posts
Greetings,

MacDesign
Photoshop User

Before and After: A good publication, I just received 2 new issues after I don't know how long... it's been years anyway. Every year or so, I'd e-mail them trying to find out what was up and when my paid subscription would continue. They kept telling me that yes, they were still around but in a "transitional phase" and yes, I still had issues outstanding. In this last year they quit replying all together. Finally, i just gave up and low and behold 2 new issues arrived.

I doubt that I will be renewing. The hiatus they took was FAR too long. :rolleyes:

Very poor communication with their customer base as to what was going on and when their orders would be fulfilled. I must give them credit however for continuing my subscription. I am unsure whether they did this for everyone or simply because I stayed on top of them about my missing issues.

I think that I am still owed at least two issues and they did not send me notification of my subscription needing to be renewed. I guess I'll wait and see what happens.

Best,
B

1 - 20 of 27 Posts