Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked at this ad more than a dozen times now and still cant see any thread to terrorism, september 11, Al Qaida, Hitler, danger to computer users...
In fact I have also asked 10 people between the ages of 15 and 61 to watch the video and give me thier impressions. Not one of them even came close to violent reaction. Forget bin ladin. Some thought it was humerous, but most described it as a visual " it will knock your socks off ". I think that is the statement Apple is trying to make about the new G5 ad. Buckel up, this thing is fast. One could argue almost forever about what the best ad should be. I guess that is what makes us all different. My point here is less about my 2cents worth and more about putting right where right is due. Apple was one of the first computer companies to pay tribute to the victims of 911 on thier web site as well as make a sizable donation. I think accusing Apple of terrorist tactics because they like everyone else are trying to get millage out of a new product line is a low blow with bad taste. This whole thing reminds me of something my daughter once told me. If this were Disneyland, you would be goofy. I for one am having seatbelts installed on my computer chair.
How about you? :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
There'll always be people that will take offense where none was intended. In a funny way, even negative reactions can be useful in marketing. Negative press being better than no press at all.

Providing the machine comes close to living up to it's billing, that is.

-GW

[ August 24, 2003, 03:05 AM: Message edited by: gwillikers ]

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
[ August 24, 2003, 03:06 AM: Message edited by: gwillikers ]

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
You can edit your post, you know.

·
Registered
235 Posts
see any thread to terrorism, september 11, Al Qaida, Hitler, danger to computer users...
The interesting thing about ads is that they are pretty much not observed by folks when they are shown, That is not the way our brains and eyes work.

Most ads - when you quiz people - are remembered for certain things... a stark visual or humor or the like - and most times not the brand. In research I was involved with years ago we tested recall on folks for battery ads... we asked about the battery bunny. Most folks thought it was for Duracell. Duracells brand was so huge it didn't matter what Energizer did most folks always thought of the category killer.

In my original post the G5 ad has nothing to do with the agrarian issues like the 1984 ad. The image of explosions and destruction are there. My question was the subconscious tie in to any and all lingering images. If aimed at potential switchers leave you with a predominant image of destruction...not power...and certainly not speed.

When you see anything visually that has explosions or destruction in it, the big events (cultural brands like 911) are already in our psyche. We can't ignore that. It may be a very strong strategy to tie into this type of cultural brand awareness...like Toscani did in his critically acclaimed Bennetton ads. But for Apple to do this they would really have to raise the bar. Like they did with the Think different campaign.

[ August 23, 2003, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: mose ]

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Is it just me, or does every time a car backfires someone likens it to Sept. 11th 2001? It seems I can't read a single news article from the US without some kind of reference to it, and no one can make a commercial/movie/tv show that has any kind of image of anything happening in it that isn't motionless talking or sleeping someone says "wow, that evokes images of 9/11"?

And this seems to happen even when there is no real imagery that evokes the attack. There is no explosion in the Ad, no flames, no death and destruction. Well, maybe some destruction as the guy is pushed out of his house by the force of his new machine. He does break a few walls.

While the Sept. 11th attack was a big deal, and I can understand being sensitive about it, to be totally honest I am getting tired of having it rammed down my throat every couple of weeks (although the frequency has declined in recent months) for the last two years..

The Ad is not one of Apple's better ones, it doesn't convey the power of the new machines as effectively as it could and it doesn't catch the eye so that if you catch it halfway through you don't do a double take to see what it is about (and really, Apple should try to make all their ads do this television or otherwise), but I think drawing the Sept. 11th Parallel is a little much. In fact, I think that it only degrades the memory of the events every time someone brings it up in relation to something as trivial as a television commercial. Hell, I think it degrades the memory when people call it 9/11 or 911. It was September 11th, 2001; A mouthful I know but calling it anything else seems like people don't care enough.

Just my rant for the evening.

--PB

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
> You can edit your post, you know.

Thanks Lars, I hadn't noticed that little icon before. I did the editing, and erased the reference I posted to the spelling error. Couldn't delete the second post, but just erased the typing.

-GW

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mose. I have read your previous post and follow what you are saying, but just cant find the image you are painting. I admit that the ad uses some very potent visuallizations of power/force, but I dont get the image of caution, danger or beware of terrorist. In all honesty, I saw the ad before I read your post; september 11 was not an image that came to mind and I am presently living in saudi arabia. If you think you have reminders of the incident from where you are, you should try waking up on this side of the pond for a change. I dont even want to go there. Back to the G5 ad; Apple needs to find a way to address the precieved (wintel world) issue of power or the apparent lack of it. The first step was to actully come up with the hardware. The next step is to give it a memorable introduction. One that not only helps you remember the G5 symbol, but at the same time addresses the precieved lack of power by 95% of the computer using world. I should be clear and say that I dont think this is the best I have seen from Apple, but it comes close to doing what I have described above. I would also like to comment about people that are not sure if this is a pro machine, game machine ect... My feeling is apple has to expand in all markets. Apple cannot build pro equipment for the 500,000 pro's that use photoshop on the mac. There are millions of people that have top end systems for gaming and the like. Apple knows that as well as the rest of the wintel crowd. The pro mac market being more intune with what a G5 means is not the audiance Apple needs to spend advertising dollars on at the moment. Call it xbox or pizza pop, this is an important factor in the numbers game. Anyone who does not think so should step back a few decades when programs were writen in 8 bit code and 256k was considered lots of head room. In my opinion, the new G5 design represents a turning point in computing. One that will be copied especially into wintel's pizza pop market within the next 24 months. You heard it here first.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
mose,

you're flogging a dead horse.

no one will subconsciously make a connection to 9/11 as the ad bears absolutely no resemblance to 9/11. if one were to make a connection to 9/11, one would have to do so consciously, not subconsciously.

cheers.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I don't see the connection either. As was earlier stated the ponit of this ad is to introduce the G5, period. Given Apple's obsession with keeping things secret I wouldn't expect a demo that included examples of processor/computer intensive tasks that make the machine shine. Things like Expose, fast user switching, and iChat AV will be featured in upcoming ads, but not until Panther is introduced. The ad serves one purpose only...Prepare to be blown away. This remids me of a visualization of the internat hype/ads Apple used to inroduce the Flat Panel iMac. I thought this was a good but not great ad.

Thanks Lars, don't know how I could have messed that one up.

[ August 25, 2003, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: mmp ]

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
but not until Jaguar is introduced
*Panther ;)

Back to the 9/11 connection, I also do not, at all, see any connection. I think some people are just way too sensitive to these things.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just to clarify...

posted August 21, 2003 05:53 PM                       
------------------------------------------------------------------------
It certainly demonstrates metaphorically the power (BTW, a fairly tried...and unfortunately tired form of advertising technique) but what concerns me is the climate that we are in. Lingering 9/11 images everywhere, terrorosm still a big part of the news, here in Toronto way too many gun incidents lately (forget about the 100:1 ratio in the States) and well, showing a computer that seems dangerous seems a little inappropriate.

etc etc
I was not saying the ad was connecting the dots... just saying that showing a computer that is dangerous because the majority of the ad shows the AFTER EFFECT of it blowing a guy out of his houser is not the type of Brand ad that Apple is known for..they took the high road for years... why start now to do lame ads?

I would imagine that the powers in Cupertino have decided to go after the unwashed teeming millions and want to appeal to the masses

A sad day when Apple relegates its advertising strategy to the "Wisk Around the Colar", "Don't squeeze the Charmin" ...mindless and superficial

As david Ogilvy stated...when you have nothing to say...sing it.

What next Apple jingles?

Blech!

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
Although I find the ad somewhat amusing, I agree with Mose, that it doesn't fit in with Apple...and least of all Jeff Goldblum's voice-over. They should have used the guy from the "Alarm Force" radio spots. :D

BTW, I see no connection to 9/11 or any other terrorist act in the ad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts