Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tons of grading have been keeping me off the forum. However, there is fresh coffee brewed and the doxies are ready to deliver anywhere in ehMacLand. Have a great day!

·
Registered
993 Posts
I sympathize, and am about to go into a marking frenzy myself. Pardon my ignorance, but what's a doxie? If it's a treat, can you get one to Peterborough this morning?

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fox, what/where do you teach? I am a full professor here at Memorial University of Newfoundland in the Faculty of Education.

"Doxies" refer to my two Standard Wirehaired Dachshunds (the only two in our province), and dates back to an earlier thread. A delivery to Peterborough is no problem for these hardy dogs. Our policy is "30 minutes or less, or it's free!", and our motto is "In God we trust, all others pay cash."

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Merci, Chealion. I shall be bound for Calgary on Dec.21st. with my wife and son. My wife is from Calgary.

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
G-o-o-o-o-d m-o-o-o-r-ning, Newfoundland !

Dr G, I'll have 2 eggs (over medium), rye toast, crispy bacon and a coffee. It's now 11:12am EST, so get those doxies pumped up for the "30 minutes or free" express (doxpress??)

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Peter, "doxpress" is when you lift two doxies over your head (similar to benchpress, but with doxies). Doxiexpress is what we have. Whatever, the doxies are on their way.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Now I know what Doxies are, and I'll have to politely decline because I'm allergic to dogs. I have a pair of guinea pigs; one of which can sit up and beg on her hind legs.

Dr. G., I'm a Prof. at Trent University in environmental science and biology, and I am teaching a new course this year for education students called "Environmental Science for Teacher Education. My past history is somewhat similar to yours. I tried emailing you about this once through the ehMac private message route; it obviously never reached you.

Now back to marking papers!

Cheers

·
Registered
993 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr.G.:
Merci, Chealion. I shall be bound for Calgary on Dec.21st. with my wife and son. My wife is from Calgary.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And I will be Alberta-bound for the holidays, too - Edmonton with a few days away in Calgary and Banff.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fox, when I graduated from high school way back in 1966, I was interested in a new field that was evolving in the sciences -- "ecology". My high school guidance teacher did not know what this was, and put me down for "forestry" as my career of choice. Seeing that I grew up in New York City, and trees in my neighborhood were at a premium, this was a strange selection. Still, I have always been an environmentalist at heart.

Our doxies are hypo-allergenic, thus, they may make deliveries even into the ICU at any hospital in ehMacLand.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Dr. G., you do have the Adirondacks in NY; one of my favorite spots in the eastern US. I was always more oriented to water than land - I had an aquarium since I was 8 years old and loved catching little critters in streams and snorkeling in lakes and watching the fish. I took a marine biology course at university and that clinched it. My high school guidance teacher was useless, but environment was always my interest, so I moved someplace where there's still a lot of good natural environment - Canada; though it's disappearing here, too. That was the best move I ever made, and I've lived in every region of Canada (if you permit me to group Newfoundland with the other Atlantic provinces). Drop me a line some time; I'll tell you more.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fox, the Adirondack range actually runs from northern Georgia (where I received my Ph.D. at the University of Georgia) to upstate New York. And yes, you may group Newfoundland and Labrador (the official name of our province) in with the Atlantic Provinces, since that too is the official designation. The Maritimes excludes NF?Lab., but the Atlantic Provinces includes us. Go figure.

·
Registered
993 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr.G.:
Fox, the Adirondack range actually runs from northern Georgia (where I received my Ph.D. at the University of Georgia) to upstate New York. <HR></blockquote>

Is that not the Appalachian Mountain range (at least that's what it's called in my old Appalachian Trail Guidebook), which also goes into Maine, New Brunswick and Québec? I've hiked in it as far south as the Blue Ridge mountains in Virginia.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fox, yes, the range runs from north Georgia, as far north as the Gros Morne mountains in western Newfoundland. The Blue Ridge Mountains are great for hiking, as are the Smokies in Tennessee.

Next summer, I hope to scale Mt.Woz along the eastern coast of ehMacLand.......without oxygen. I figure if I take my two doxies as Sherpa guides, I might make it up and back alive. We shall see.

·
Registered
993 Posts
You've done it again, Dr.G. Just when I thought I knew everything (geographically speaking), where is Mt. Woz?

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fox, since ehMacLand is shaped like the Apple logo, Mt.Woz is up near the bite of the apple. While the south face has been scaled up to the Jobs Plateau (apx. 1000 feet from the summit), no one has ever attempted it from the north face. Luckily, doxies are real diggers, and they have powerful legs and claws despite being so low to the ground. I figure that if I can make it as far as the Lisa ridge, which is the overhang of rock just below the summit, the doxies can burrow a tunnel through to the summit and secure a toe line. This might enable me to make it to the top. If not, at least they will have made it...........or else we will all die trying. We shall see.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.