Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally wne t aheda and tried to install the Linksys router and got it to work (thanks to all who offered assistance ;). Now, I have the router setup on my iMac running 9 and I went to plug my PB running X.2. Went to the Network setting window and found under TCP/IP that I could either configure manually or by PPP. Where's the DHCP option? Referred to my Jag book, and they mention it as well as an option, but it's not in my case. What gives? Holla if ya hear me!

·
Registered
590 Posts
As far as I now, there isn't support for smoe functions of the linksys router for os 10 yet. You may want to go to your iMac and try to config the router in os 9. If your looking to network your machines to share files, I suggest you lose the router. The built in switch function is horrible on mac and windows.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
whoa... shaking cobwebs this am. My spelling!

What is happening is that I have the connection. i cannot get my unit under X to setup via DHCP. That setting is not even an option. Wanna know why. only shows manual and PPP.

·
Registered
778 Posts
in the network pane in your system preferences, select the "show" pop up menu and select the "Network Port Configurations"

This should bring up another little interface with all your internal ports, i.e. Airport, Ethernet Built-in, Internal Modem.

Select your Built-in ethernet and move it to the top of the list. Deselect everything else that you are not using.

Click on "apply now" and then select the "show" pop up menu again and select the built in ethernet from the pop up menu.

You now have the settings to obtain your IP via DHCP server via the linksys.

enjoy!

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I get the feeling that somethin is not clicking right here. Just did that D101, and still nothing. Again it seems that my only options in TCP/IP, under configure are MANUAL or PPP. No sign of DHCP.... hold on. I'm rebooting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dthompson101:
in the network pane in your system preferences, select the "show" pop up menu and select the "Network Port Configurations"

This should bring up another little interface with all your internal ports, i.e. Airport, Ethernet Built-in, Internal Modem.

Select your Built-in ethernet and move it to the top of the list. Deselect everything else that you are not using.

Click on "apply now" and then select the "show" pop up menu again and select the built in ethernet from the pop up menu.

You now have the settings to obtain your IP via DHCP server via the linksys.

enjoy!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
778 Posts
it could be that you have a serious network system preference issues and a new one needs to be created.

Before you get all UNIXY here in the command line, try making a new location and see if there are any changes with what you are allowed to select from.

If that does not work, I will be happy to assist you in creating a new networksystempreference file in your hidden folders.

Let me know how things go either through this or by email.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
What is selected in the Show: menu? If it isn't Built-in Ethernet, then select that first. If that isn't in the popup, choose Network Port Config and turn off everything else.

If that doesn't work, you got some Network preference problems.

Let us now.

·
Registered
778 Posts
How to create yourself a new network preference file that is distributed throughout the system. You need to be willing to move down into the command line with this help/hint. To get to the command line. migrate to your /Applications/Utilities folder
Scroll to the bottom of your column and select the terminal.app. Double click, here we go…You will see the command prompt underneath the "Welcome to Darwin!" message of the day.

Step 1.
We have to move to the location of the network system preferences. To do this type:
cd :/private/var/db/SystemConfiguration

Step 2.
Find out where you are with this command:
pwd

Stands for "Present Working Directory"
You should see this:
/private/var/db/SystemConfiguration

Step 3.
Time to become root or super user
To do this, at the command prompt, type:
sudo -s
Enter your password

Your command prompt will go from your own name, i.e. david to root
Be careful now, as every command you make as root can wreak havoc on your system.

Step 4.
Backup your old preferences file, but first lets see what we have in our current directory type:
ls –al
at the command prompt:

[commonground:/var/db/SystemConfiguration] root# ls -al
total 456
drwxr-xr-x 7 root wheel 238 Dec 21 20:01 .
drwxr-xr-x 17 root wheel 578 Dec 21 19:49 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root staff 1022 Dec 11 18:18 com.apple.PowerManagement.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 1117 Dec 21 19:49 com.apple.airport.preferences.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 root staff 810 Nov 27 16:55 com.apple.nat.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 81183 Dec 21 19:50 preferences.xml

you should see something along these lines. The file that we want to backup is the preference.xml file.
So, now that you know what you want to do, it's time to execute the command

Step 5.
At the command prompt type:
mv preferences.xml preferences.xml.orig

This allows you to know that you can get your original file back by renaming it to preferences.xml in case you have to. You do not have to worry too much about this file. Your system will create a new one when you load up the network preferences in the system pane next time. Your system will also continue to boot so there is no worry about messing up the system if you screw this file up. That command simply renames your file from preferences.xml to preferences.xml.orig

Step 6.
Time to see what you have in the directory now. Type:
ls –al
You should see something along the lines of

total 456
drwxr-xr-x 7 root wheel 238 Dec 21 20:10 .
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 81183 Dec 21 19:50 preferences.xml.orig

Now If you load up your system preferences and choose network and then move back into your terminal you should now have 2 files. 1 called preferences.xml.orig, and a new one simply called preferences.xml

You can find this again by typing ls –al

total 456
drwxr-xr-x 7 root wheel 238 Dec 21 20:10 .
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 81183 Dec 21 19:50 preferences.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 135996 Dec 8 09:37 preferences.xml-orig

Step 7.
Exit the system as root
Type exit at the command prompt. You should see that the root user name is now back to yours.

This should reset all your ports on your workstation as far as the GUI is concerned.

Hope this helps you if you are still having problems. If you are worried that something here might screw up or that I might be trying to screw up your system, ask other people in this forum to check it over who know BSD and Darwin and ensure you that it is indeed proper and correct with what I have told you here.

Hope this helps you out in your endevour to get your network running.

Alternately, you could run this from the GUI somehow, but its much faster from the command line (CLI)

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, it looks like I may have resolved the issue. But I really don't know how this came about.

I went and created a new location. And then all these new options appeared in the configure drop box: The DHCP I needed, DHCP with manual IP addies, manual and BootP. Odd. I don't even have all those listings in my ref. manual.

Now gonna see if I can get this thing to work. Hold up...

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
B I N G O.

Why did this take so damn long? Man... thanks to all who offered, and D101 for the mandarin lessons - Was hoping that I would not have to go that far as I did not understand anything ;). I'm going to play around some more with this. I want to go wireless next. Also going to get a new router. Future shop got a deal on the Wireless Linksys right now: $129.99. for anyone looking around. It's this one. 4 ports and Wifi. Seems like a deal...

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Ohenri wrote:
"Future shop got a deal on the Wireless Linksys right now: $129.99. for anyone looking around. It's this one. 4 ports and Wifi. Seems like a deal..."

Geez. I go out and get a wireless access point (after prices have been stable for what seems like years), and a few months later the prices fall through the floor.

I'm cursed, I tells ya!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts