Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I installed [email protected] on the Dual 2GHz G5 today to see how it compared with my Dual 1.42 GHz G4 tests (It did a single Data packet in approx 8.25hrs)
Time for the new G5 (No RAID) 4hours 14mins!!!

Now that's some power!!! Stand Back Neil, Kray-Z is comin to whoop your SETI-Ass hehehehe (OK, maybe it will take more than that to beat Neils SETI, but still, thats fast!!!)

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The gauntlet has been thrown!
Dun DUn DUn!!!!

·
Registered
406 Posts
More important everyone on the team should flash up and be current, no matter where we are on the list, right???
:D :D

·
Registered
406 Posts
MacDaddy was sure that the Dual PC's could run two applications of seti at once. So I did some checking and sure enough the G5 can also. You might want to check the link out for some tune-up tips. There are some pretty impressive numbers here from the G5 Dual............ :D :D

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am sure the actual times are lower than what I posted because this is a demo machine that customers frequently use, and it always running something.

Regardless, it is blasting through the work units like nothing I have seen before! I am going to see about running the two clients on single machine and see how that works out!

·
Registered
406 Posts
IMHO of course but the command line is much more efficient. I can forward a couple of links if you wish which are complete easy to use packages for the CL version. They work very well for me and might be a way around your problem if indeed it is the GUI seti that is the problem.

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
speaking of SETI and windows...
i have an AMD 2400 running win2k server and SETI hangs the machine after a while
i have tried different preference settings for the screen saver and display sleep settings.

nothing seems to solve the problem

any hints?

AMD 2400
256 MB 333 DDR RAM
16 MB ATI video card
40 GB ATA/133 HD
WIN2K Server with most recent service packs
To tell you the truth the only versions of Win2k that I've run Seti on have been the workstation version I've never run it on a server yet. Try the link below it will take you the directory at Seti where all there latest software is kept I've even found betas here before, try downloading both the 3.03 version and 3.08 other than that I'm not sure what could be wrong.

Seti Software directory

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
I applaude you on your purchase of that lovely G5 but I don't want to smash your bubble but I've found from running Seti from it's earliest days on the Mac and Windows and nothing on the Mac has ever been able to touch a Windows PC running the command line version, for example it took your state of the art Dual G5 4 hours and 14 mins it takes my 8 month old Athlon 1700 3.5 hours to finish off a unit my brother's brand spanking new Athlon 3200 polishes off a unit in just under 2 hours
. As good as the Mac is Seti is just not one of it's strong points not until Seti get down and actually compile a version to run as efficiently as possible on that lovely G5.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
speaking of SETI and windows...
i have an AMD 2400 running win2k server and SETI hangs the machine after a while
i have tried different preference settings for the screen saver and display sleep settings.

nothing seems to solve the problem

any hints?

AMD 2400
256 MB 333 DDR RAM
16 MB ATI video card
40 GB ATA/133 HD
WIN2K Server with most recent service packs

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.