Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparantly there is more to IP over FW than I originally thought. Of course, I didn;t read the whole thing about it either, but here is an interesting tidbit from RAILhead Design:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>From RAILhead Design:
Any way you slice it, this is going to be a Big Thing as Apple heads further down the Digital Hub Highway. And this preview release is simply a preview of the possibilities, because the key to this technology is that it supports any FireWire enabled device that utilizes IP protocols — not just computers. If the device can run some manner of operating system containing IP capabilities, it can be designed to communicate and control other devices. As a simple example, you could, conceivably, browse the Internet on your iPod by plugging into a FireWire-supporting network hub/switch.

The bottom line? The potential is literally unchartable.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting, no?

--PB

·
Registered
778 Posts
Lots to it, but it's up to 3rd party companies to start supporting it. Just like USB high speed modems are available, it is up to these companies to licence firewire for use on products. I think that the cost that Apple charges per licence per port is way too expensive for most companies who build network gear to worry about. Plus the length that firewire can stretch is way less than that of ethernet (cat5e and the emerging cat6)

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dthompson101:
Plus the length that firewire can stretch is way less than that of ethernet (cat5e and the emerging cat6)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Currently, yes. But what about in the future when Firewire 2 comes out?

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Apple has pulled the IP over FW software (it was beta). No word yet as to whether it's due to some issue or because they plan to update or post a release version.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dthompson101:
I think that the cost that Apple charges per licence per port is way too expensive for most companies who build network gear to worry about. Plus the length that firewire can stretch is way less than that of ethernet (cat5e and the emerging cat6)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A quarter to license the tech, around 3-5 $ to implement it. But not exactly unreasonable considering the "smart tech" advantage it has over USB (1.1 and 2.0).

Also, If the whole idea of implementing IP over FW is to make it rendevous compatible, why would you necessarily need to go a great distance? "Devices" aren't generally used that far away form the computer.

--PB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts