Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Great game. Not decided until the very end. The score is a little deceiving.

It is games like this that keeps me interested in the CFL. A buddy of mine wants a NFL team to come to Toronto, but let's face it, most Superbowl are super boring.

Good to see Montreal get a cup again.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've been waiting for this since Montreal came back to the CFL! What a sweet victory. Nice to be on the winning end of numerous years of heartbreak and dissapointment. Now, if only I could get to Montreal for that parade on Wednesday!

·
Registered
283 Posts
CFL, this game today is exactly why its so great. As a bomber fan I really had no favorite, I just hoped/expected a great game to watch.
Bomber next year ;)

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Having played more than my share of late-fall football in SK, I knew that they were going to have problems with footing during pass plays, generally favoring the defender. Basically what happens is recievers must adjust routes so that cuts are gentler and kind of "straightened out"; both teams attempted to run their standard routes and failed to get much passing yards.
Of course, for the same reasons, a completed pass can be dangerous; once the reciever does get moving downfield the advantage passes to the chased rather than the chaser.

Montreal was able to capitalize by breaking a few and scoring; I personally can't remember anybody else ever winning a CFL playoff game with only 7 first downs. Naturally, no die-hard 'Rider fan could ever cheer for Edmonton, under any circumstances, so all of Saskatoon was happy with Montreal's victory.

Did anyone else find it ironic that the NFL game in Denver (vs Indy) a few hours later had worse weather?

Finally, after hearing the phrase "frozen tundra of Lambeau Field" [Green Bay Packers] once too many times on ESPN/TSN NFL coverage, I feel compelled to add that Lambeau has very comfortable football turf: the field is built on top of a hot-water heating system that keeps onfield temps to 60 F year round (cooling in hot weather, heating in cold). I've been there, we watched a game in our T-shirts on December 13 1999 when outside air temps were well below freezing. It wasn't the least bit cold.

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
The guys "down south" have no idea what cold really is. When I was working at wellsite in Texas, the weather chilled off to just above freezing for a day or so and the whole crew were wearing every bit of clothing they owned. I decided to yank their chains a bit and spent the whole time wearing just a T-shirt and jeans. I kept saying "hey...it's refreshingly crisp outside!" They thought I was wacko and I often heard them muttering about "those crazy Canucks! They love the cold!"

I didn't tell them the real truth. We can handle the cold because we have to....not necessarily because we like it.

Still...it's always good to add to the "Canadian Mystique" whenever you can. It may forestall a future invasion if they think we are some sort of arctic supermen or something.
:D :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts