Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't think shopping for a new monitor would be this difficult, but I can't seem to find the monitor I want at a reasonable price. What are some recommended brands with good prices? (aka, not over $500.00, 17-inch) I'm looking for a 17" monitor (min) with a resolution support of 1280x1024 @ 75 Hz (min).

Any suggestions? Ours no longer displays properly and needs to be replaced.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One more question...

What are D-SUB and BNC connectors? Apparently, some monitors I've found come with those connectors. Do you need an adaptor for VGA connectors?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I've got two Samsung 753DF 17" monitors at home and they're great. They're cheap now (around $200), but they can't go above 1280x1024 @ 60Hz. The Samsung 955DF 19" monitor can be had for under $330, and can do 1280x1024 @ 75Hz. I've not seen the monitor myself but if it's like the 753DF then it'll be a nice monitor.

You could also buy a used monitor (off-lease, I believe) from Dell Financial Services; I purchased a 21" Trinitron monitor for my father for under $300 about a year ago, and it's worked like a charm.

·
Registered
507 Posts
BNC - British Naval Connector.

It's a silver locking metal connector, and represents five inputs - R, G, B, and two alpha channels. This pretty much evolved into 'Component Video inputs'.

I think D-Sub is the technical name given to 'VGA' connector, the PC kind. I could be wrong though.

You can still buy BNC to VGA cables; I have one here I believe.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
for $500 budget?? Hell, you might be able to get a used LaCie electron Blue for like $450 @ CPUsed right now. You might even get a warranty for that as well. I saw it on their price list . Take a look down the page under Mac Compatible Monitors . Anyhow, there are many to pick from - too many if you ask me. But I do know that the Samsungs are pretty good. My Webmaster bro has 3 (2x17"s & 1x19"). But the Lacie's a hella nice...

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Only advice I give about monitors is....

Apple tends to give a 1 year warranty, most other manufacturers give 3 years....

I have only had 2 monitors fail on me ever... Both beige and both had a rainbow Apple logo on them and both less than 6 months after the warranty expired.

Apple called both paper weights and not their problem.
Probably true....

All my current monitors are Viewsonics... They are all over 5 years old...

Take from that what you will...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts