Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Setting up a new office. I have MWG loaded onto 4 computers (3 Mac Minis running Snow Leopard, and a G4 iBook, running Panther I think (I believe OS 10.4.11), one as the standalone/server, others as clients. Computers are networked wirelessly through a combo router/modem and that appears to be working ok as they are successfully sharing a printer which is physically connected to one of the Minis, and all can access the Internet wirelessly.

Tried to use one of the client computers to connect to the file on the "server" computer with no luck. If I try to access by "connect to a server document", nothing shows up under the "use local network browser" - should I be seeing the file or the computer name here?

I then tried to access via "Manual using IP address". That seemed to be the way to go, since I could see the computer I wanted to connect to, went into the user's public files and then into "drop box", which is where I had put the document. But nothing showed up in the drop box.

Where should I be putting the company file on the main computer? If it should be in the shared public files as I assumed, then why is it not showing there? If not there, where should it be? Any ideas of why nothing shows up under "Local Area Network"?

Pretty sure that all firewalls are turned off (although I will check next time I'm in) so don't think that's the issue. Also pretty sure file sharing is turned on on all computers.

I would appreciate any advice, it is rather crucial that at least 2 computers can get into the file.

I am not highly technical but as it stands I am the most techie person in the office (and I wanted the Macs).

Thanks

Stephanie

G

·
I don't know anything about money works, but I do know that you can't browse files in a user's drop box, it's only viewable by the local user (that's why it's called a drop box).

The answer probably lies in setting up a shared folder with all the company data on the "server" machine and assigning proper access to that folder for the specified network users. Also assigning all the machines on the network static IP addresses is a good idea as well ... that way their addresses won't change after a router reboot, etc.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that is helpful.

Since I'm really new to the world of networking, how do I set up a static IP address for each computer? I'm guessing that would help if I want to try to access remotely from home as well (but that's another issue...)

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
In System Preferences...Network, hit the Advanced button. Change the "Using DHCP" to "Manually" and set an IP address within the range allowed by your router.

With regard to MW, I find their tech support to be outstanding. Call or email them. I'm sure they'll help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts