·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
Ironically I have no problem with the BBC site using Snow Leopard and the last 32bit version of FireFox.

I know that's about as close to zero help as one can get, but that's to be expected when you're on the bleeding edge. You're out there discovering these problems so guys like me who are a tick or two behind the times don't have to.:D

·
Used to be Tilt
238 Posts
Since, I am able to view the BBC link properly on my Mojave iMac.

Re. the video, could you maybe post the actual link and I can try?

The major issue I am facing with Mojave is the extremely flaky wifi connection when in a 2.4GHz zone instead of a 5GHZ zone. Until High Sierra, I had no problems in 2,4GHz areas, but Mojave sucks in that regard.

Cheers

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Strange that I cannot do either, but perhaps the combo updater will solve my issue when it is released. For now, I will just have to suffer, but thanks for the comeback Tilt. :)

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
Still having issues with Safari under Mojave. Cannot connect to this URL. Anyone else getting this notice?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/technology-45908565/hi-tech-glasses-offer-alternative-to-bifocals
Tried on my virtual install of Mojave and the link loads nothing, I get in the address bar "about:blank"

Maybe it is something on the websites end that is not up to date for a newer browser? Have you tried in chrome or firefox on your computer and see if it loads there?

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
I see similar things at work. That's behind a proxy though, though I haven't ruled out ad blocking.
I do not have any ad blocking or any wonky security. My install of Mojave is pretty much fresh as well, only installed it to test some apps out for compatibility.

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
I noticed while doing my El Cap build that an update to Safari came through some time in the past week or two. Have you checked to make sure you the latest version of Safari installed?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tried on my virtual install of Mojave and the link loads nothing, I get in the address bar "about:blank"

Maybe it is something on the websites end that is not up to date for a newer browser? Have you tried in chrome or firefox on your computer and see if it loads there?
Same result with both Firefox and Chrome. Cannot connect message. :confused:

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
Same result with both Firefox and Chrome. Cannot connect message. :confused:
Have you tried on a different network? Not sure if you are using a laptop or desktop. If you have an iPhone with data plan maybe you could connect to it for internet and see if it loads any differently. Would definitely rule out your network being the issue.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
The iPhone 8 Plus loads perfect and normal, so now what? Is it an issue with my Telus internet service? For the record, my cell provider is also Telus.

EDIT: Hang on. Forgot to switch to cellular. That loaded over the very same WI-FI network as the computer, but normally.

EDIT 2: iPhone loads same correct way on cellular.

EDIT 2: Just used personal hotspot to connect MBP to the URL with exactly the same 'cannot connect' notice.

Seems to me now the issue is solely with Mojave and Safari.

Think I will give Apple a call to see what they say.

Attachments

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I noticed while doing my El Cap build that an update to Safari came through some time in the past week or two. Have you checked to make sure you the latest version of Safari installed?
Oh joy, they have changed the entire App store and I cannot even find previous purchases or past updates to check when Safari was last updated. Another Apple blunder!

Check out the mess they have created in this article:

https://thesweetsetup.com/a-first-look-at-the-new-mac-app-store-in-macos-mojave/

·
Used to be Tilt
238 Posts
Still having issues with Safari under Mojave. Cannot connect to this URL. Anyone else getting this notice?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/technology-45908565/hi-tech-glasses-offer-alternative-to-bifocals

Folks, it works perfectly on my Mojave and Safari, no problems at all. The page shows up properly.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
Oh joy, they have changed the entire App store and I cannot even find previous purchases or past updates to check when Safari was last updated. Another Apple blunder!
From terminal:

softwareupdate --history --all

For Safari:

softwareupdate --history --all | grep -i Safari

Not saying they haven't made a mess of the store, but I've always checked history in this way. A bit more flexible once the list gets long enough.

For previous purchases; open the App Store and click on your account at the bottom of the right pane. Certainly not intuitive. A step up from the previous version though.

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
Very much a shot in the dark her.

I never mess with my DNS server setting. However since this is a problem across multiple computers and browsers, and others cannot consistently replicate it, I wonder if it might be worth trying a different DNS server?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts