Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
Said with an entirely straight face as a well bred young gentleman should. ;)

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
That's okay I thought it was this weekend too. ;)

Might be something today - the big French Mac site is offline for updating - that may mean an announcement.

"Veuillez rafraîchir la page dans quelques instants."

Oh the Superbowl an 8 hours extravaganza interrupted at times by 15 minutes of football. :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Prepare your wallets people. I sense some new horsepower in the vicinity! Dual 2.6 Ghz G5's maybe? ;)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm not a football fan either but I'll be watching just to see the Apple/Pepsi commerical!! (We finally got our dish working this weekend, so that's where I'll be).

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
I think dual 2.3 - dual 2 and single 2. I just hope they put the 9600 in the dual 2 :D
For sure something in the Powerbooks.

No more 12" Combo - Superdrive only 1 gHz maybe 1.25

No more Combo 15" - 1.33 SD under $3k

17" _ Dual G4 maybe

A Cube something :D

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Does your crystal ball see anything in the way of i/eMac upgrades, oh swami of the west(end)?

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
French site was false alert (unfortunately), both site & store back in action...

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
Not our turf.
The eMacs are pretty well laid out price/performance.
iMac may be a dead beast as there is far too much overlap
We've not seen any activity on them.

Portables rule the mid range. The 17" is real problem and we may not see a bump but rather a price drop.

Everything is bumping against the G4 limits and the G5 chip is not easily stuffed in a small box.
Price is about the only area Apple has breathing room for the moment tho a dual G4 Powerbook is not out of the question.

Looks like nada today - maybe at noon tho :D

·
Registered
661 Posts
Remember, they get up three hours later than we do... but I guess it's not as if they wake up, read the paper, then update the site.
But maybe they'll do the Super Bowl thing again--since they've been pretty much downplaying the 20 years of Mac thing so far.
I just don't want to wait until the Grey Cup!
Believe it or not, I was having weird Apple announcement dreams (/nightmares). Something that looked like an Apple II with an iMac flat panel stuck on top.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Everything is bumping against the G4 limits
No kidding :rolleyes: it really feels like it's the end of the clockspeed road for the G4, doesn't it?

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Hmmm... no Apple announcement yet. :( Do we have to wait another week for speed-bumped PowerMac G5s?

Ho well... I guess it saves my wallet for another month.

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
Yeah the entire G4 line was a disaster in terms of performance over time. A dual 500 from almost 4 years ago is still competitive :rolleyes:

IBM for the G5

I don't know if you've followed our PB thread but the perormance between a G3 900 512 and a G4 .133 is peanuts given a 300% price difference :eek:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I'm on my forth year working in Apple sales.

Non-keynoted updates and speed bumps have always been Tuesday morning 9:00 AM EST. I can't think of one time that it wasn't done this way.

I'm still hoping for a noon update, but I'm not holding my breath.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
(( p g a n t )),

THAT'S what I like to hear! The performance most of us NEED in relation to what we WANT is terribly subjective.

Here I sit, in front of my circa 1997 PM9600, happily doing all I need in reasonable time. Yes, the added perks of a processor upgrade and ATA hard drives has made the system quicker, but nothing compared to my office MDD 867. Yet I can't justify a big investment in current hardware for my uses. Sure, it would be grand to have a shiny, new G5 here, blazing through all my projects... but do I really need it? No.

I'm counting on my office MDD supplying all I need for 3 to 5 years. And my 3 "FrankenMacs? Until they experience major hardware failure, they still have a future.

Longevity - isn't that an integral part of what Macs are all about?

·
peek-a-boo
16,612 Posts
You're right. I'm thinking maybe more ram for the dualG4. I'm guessing I'll end up losing too much on this MDD if I trade it in to a G5 anyways.

·
Registered
406 Posts
So was there any announcement or advertisement during the Superbowl. Is the next big date tomorrow or did I miss something here.
:D :D

·
Registered
543 Posts
Yep processor speed is only a minor aspect for many users tho a 9600 is perhaps stretching the point ;)

Your MDD would benefit from both RAM but most from a RAID in the high speed bus - you'll get about 100 megs per second = very sweet speed bump :cool:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts