Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
an ipod is out of my price range unfortunately, and when i asked mom for one for x-mas and told her the price, she laughed at me. :rolleyes:

so, i've been looking at minidisc players. now, the question that arises is: can the software that comes with the player work on macs? is it worth it? i need SOMETHING cause my discman just broke and the walk to school is awful quiet.

thanks gang,

Phil

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I just spent about 20-minutes on hold with a variety of Sony people for you...all of whom say that their MDs do not come with Mac software. There are also no plans to develop Mac software.

That leaves you with having to transfer your tunes in REAL TIME to the MD via line-in. :rolleyes: That is hardly state-of-the-art.

The cheapest Net MD is the MZ-N505S model...and that will set you back $249.99 (suggested retail) or more. You are better to ask your mom for the cash for that and then chip in the remainder to get yourself a 5GB iPod.

Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've been listening to MiniDisc for years... It's a great alternative to the iPod or MP3 players in general.

But watch out, the new Sony NetMD recorders aren't compatible with Mac (actually they are, but not without significant effort). Sites like T-Station.net and minidisco.com (Mac users also, they have a story on the Apple site somewhere) will have info on how to do it.

But there's an alternative to NetMD. Most MD recorders have a TOS-input (digital optical) that is used to send digital sound to a MiniDisc. All you need is a way to connect the TOS Link cable to your Mac.

And these products have been around for a little while... One such product plugs into your USB port and lets you connect the TOS to the MD recorder. OS X compatible, all you need is iTunes, some MP3s and your good to go. A company called Xitel makes an analog and digital one, I think Edirol do too. (I personally have the Xitel Digital one)

There are also sound cards (PCI) available that have TOS outputs.

NetMD sounds simpler, but NetMD has some serious drawbacks as it is.

NetMD's client software OpenMD basically converts songs from whatever media you have to the ATRAC format (sound format used with MD). Once a song is converted, you have up to three “check-outs”. Recording a song to MD drops the checkout count by one. Songs that have been recorded onto MD via OpenMG jukebox are protected, meaning you can’t divide or erase them. Checking songs in to OpenMG deletes the song from the MD and increases the check out count by one.

Also it does not permit you to upload songs to Open MD. One of the cool things about MD is you can use it to record, live, I have done so at concerts, lectures and a friend of mine uses it to record sound for his Digital Video projects.

NetMD has its limitations, all of which make getting a MiniDisc recorder without NetMD much more worth it.

I have a Panasonic SJ-MR200 ( http://www.minidisct.com/products/pana_sjmr200.html ) and I love it. My fiance has a Sony MD Player, and our stereo has a Kenwood recorder.

Discs are quite cheap, and reusable. The portable players always have wow factor to them. MiniDisc is worth it.
:D

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks everyone (especially vertigogo for calling sony.).

i still want an ipod dammit!!!

Phil

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
This has been my challenge for quite some time. I too want an iPod, but the price? I've yet to justify it. Will likely very soon by the sounds of it though (according to levy). But the MDs are the bomb as well. been using one for ever - though not my own yet. My bud has one but rarely [read not at all] uses it. But the real time recording is not cool in my books either. Rather get a CD player. But I do like the live recording ops. I could have told you about the Mac hating on Sony's part. Not smooth on their part. You thought that they would do the math and see how many more might buy the NetMDs if there was some Mac support. I would have bought one a while back had that been the case. The iPods are still hot though.... damn!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts