Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought the current MacBook Pro 13" and tried to connect it with a Samsung HDTV with a male to male, Mini DP to HDMI cable. The MBP has no problem detecting the HDTV display and mirror the screen, but the audio output preference pane fails to see it. Any solution will be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
Just bought the current MacBook Pro 13" and tried to connect it with a Samsung HDTV with a male to male, Mini DP to HDMI cable. The MBP has no problem detecting the HDTV display and mirror the screen, but the audio output preference pane fails to see it. Any solution will be appreciated. Thanks!
The solution is to plug in the audio separately from the headphone jack, preferably using optical cable to your optical audio receiver.

To the best of my knowledge, MDP only carries audio when its connected to another MDP display.

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
no..all the new MDP ports carry audio as well, but the adapter has to be designed for it, and most are not

look for an adapter that is *guaranteed* to carry audio as well and you should be fine

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
recent OSX update

According to Mac Help, my MBP does support HDMI audio. The cable that I use also indicates that it support MBP to HDMI audio on the packaging. I was looking into this further this morning and found some posts re: the latest OS update breaking the MBP's HDMI audio support. Anyone experiencing the same thing? Any idea on a fix?

·
Premium Member
15,660 Posts
Not all HDTV Samsung (and other older makers) sets allow audio input via HDMI, and those that do need to be configured normally with their remote or controls to set the sound imput.

You may want to check the Samsung support how-to site for your particular model and read their computer to HDTV setup article via Support for LN-R1550 SAMSUNG

·
Premium Member
15,660 Posts
Here's a site you might find helpful:
"New MacBook Pros support audio over Mini DisplayPort (Updated)"

New MacBook Pros support audio over Mini DisplayPort (Updated)

"Those hooking up the latest MacBook Pros to an HDTV using an HDMI adapter can now do so a little more easily: Apple has updated its implementation of Mini DisplayPort to pass audio signals through to any device that supports them. Until now, the miniDP port only transmitted video, even though the DisplayPort spec supports optional alternate signal channels such as audio or USB. ..."

·
Premium Member
15,660 Posts
And then I just stumbled on this... and note the "NOTE" about 10.6.4!!!!
Moshi Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter

"Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter (with audio)
5 Review(s) | Add Your Review
Moshi's Mini DisplayPort to HDMI signal format adapter is a compact and stylish adapter that can seamlessly connect DisplayPort-based MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iMac, Mac mini or Mac Pro to any HDMI display.

Moshi's Mini DisplayPort Supports HDMI audio passthrough for: Mid-2010 release of MacBook white / MacBook Pro 13/15/17", iMac 21.5/27" early-2010 release)

Note: Audio output through HDMI may not function properly with the Mac OSX 10.6.4 update. Please do not update to 10.6.4 until Apple has resolved this issue."

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Premium Member
15,660 Posts
From the various Mac sources I checked including Apple's own 10.6 SL discussions and doing a search on 'HDMI Audio', it seems a LOT of users got hit with non-working HDMI audio after updating to 10.6.4. Same cables etc. and everything had been working for them with 10.6.3 for the HDMI audio on the supported Macs.

No real solution that I could find other than trying setting various pref pane settings (sound) to something else and saving and then trying again for what they should be, but not usually successful.

If it was my MBP (or even a client's), I would download the 10.6.4 COMBO update, shut down and boot up in Safe Boot mode, run Disk Utility to repair permissions and verify Disk and then run the 10.6.4 combo.
Mac OS X v10.6.4 Update (Combo)

Normally all peripherals should be disconnected when doing so, but I'm wondering if leaving the Samsung connected and powered up while you do so might help.

Heck, you could always run it without peripherals and restart and see it things work and if not, do the Safe Boot routine again *with* the Samsung connected and powered up.

Maybe the Mac needs to "see" the device in order to configure any install stuff needed.

Otherwise, it seems that Apple's 10.6.4 did something goofy for your HDMI audio support and you'll need to await their fix or Google for any possible solutions.

Maybe go back to 10.6.3 if that's even possible for you without loosing any personal data.

·
Premium Member
15,660 Posts
I keep forgetting that Apple's 10.6.x SL installer is a lot smarter than it used to be.

An another Mac user said: "There is no Archive & Install option for Snow Leopard. Instead, its installer offers a single "no brainer" option that replaces the existing OS (if there is one) with a fresh copy of Snow Leopard & leaves your existing user settings, documents, etc. untouched (if there are any). "

And you MBP would/should have come with a 10.6.3 install disk.

Maybe a simpler solution to use and do rather than going through all the 10.6.4 combo install routines and maybe the HDMI and audio will also work with your Samsung display.

Is so, do a working bootable clone and then try the 10.6.4 later if you want, but I'd wait and see if Apple provides any update for the problem.

·
Premium Member
15,660 Posts
I'm glad to help but now curious as to what method you used to fix the problem - and I'm assuming everything is now working properly.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For now, I simply added another cable from the headphone jack to the audio input of the TV. Hardly sophisticated, I know, but it's simple. I hope the next software update will solve the issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For now, I simply added another cable from the headphone jack to the audio input of the TV. Hardly sophisticated, I know, but it's simple. I hope the next software update will solve the issue.
I did the same for now. If it takes a while for Apple to fix it, I'll downgrade to the previous version of Snow Leopard.

·
Registered
1 Posts
gauge and length of cable

I had this same issue. I contacted Monoprice and the issue was that the gauge of the cable was not sufficient for the length. The issue was signal degradation and nothing else. Monoprice refunded my order. In short, get a shorter cable or a better gauge cable.

·
Premium Member
15,660 Posts
Maybe there IS a good reason to use some of the more expensive higher end cables like Monster and some other high-end manufacturers, and I don't mean those huge fat overkill cables that some use from their amps that could easily be used for welding cables.

There's an interesting but old article on some test/working cables at The Truth About Monster Cable, Part 2 (Verdict: Cheap Cables Keep Up...Usually)

And I came across an Ontario outlet that seems to specialize in higher end cables, including Monster cables, and including some long lengths that won't break one's bank account at HDMI Cables Canada hdmi cable Monster HDMI Cables 1080p

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
I would take the Gizmodo test with a grain of salt.
For instance, monoprice doesn't even offer a high speed 35-ft HDMI cable, only standard speeds at that length, so I would that cable to fail the "future test" without that actually being a negative.
But then again, it's not clear which particular cable they actually tested - from an EE point of view these test results are meaningless.

In general I find it amazing that most places don't even provide basic specs for the cables they sell.
Sure, most people wouldn't know what to look for, but if one does one should be able to find basic information such as cable resistance, cable impedance, cable capacitance, gold-plating thickness on the connector. Even if I go to the manufacturer's site like Kramer Electronics, the manufacturer of the cables in your second link,and I download their "datasheet" - all I get is:
Quality Construction - Kramer’s new High Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) cables provide an uncompressed digital link between consumer electronics equipment such as DVD players, set-top boxes and audio/video monitors such as plasma display screens for high-definition TVs.
High Quality Connectors - Gold-plated connectors resist corrosion, and offer the best possible connectivity.
Varied Selection of Lengths - Available in 3, 6, 10, 15, 25, 35 and 50ft (0.9 to 15.2m).
No data on the cable itself at all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
According to Mac Help, my MBP does support HDMI audio. The cable that I use also indicates that it support MBP to HDMI audio on the packaging. I was looking into this further this morning and found some posts re: the latest OS update breaking the MBP's HDMI audio support. Anyone experiencing the same thing? Any idea on a fix?
I keep forgetting that Apple's 10.6.x SL installer is a lot smarter than it used to be.

An another Mac user said: "There is no Archive & Install option for Snow Leopard. Instead, its installer offers a single "no brainer" option that replaces the existing OS (if there is one) with a fresh copy of Snow Leopard & leaves your existing user settings, documents, etc. untouched (if there are any). "

And you MBP would/should have come with a 10.6.3 install disk.

Maybe a simpler solution to use and do rather than going through all the 10.6.4 combo install routines and maybe the HDMI and audio will also work with your Samsung display.

Is so, do a working bootable clone and then try the 10.6.4 later if you want, but I'd wait and see if Apple provides any update for the problem.

·
Premium Member
15,660 Posts
Downloading and running the appropriate Update or the COMBO Update has often been documented with fixing many Mac OS X glitches, especially if the updates were done through 'Software Update'.

But it also seems best to run the downloaded update when booted into Safe Boot Mode and after running the Disk Utility Repair and Verify options while in that mode.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts