Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're migrating from sis's old iBook to her new MacBook and opted to migrate everything (not much on there except mail and a few Safari bookmarks)

Everything went fine at first, but now it's stalled and says it's transferring the applications folder and there is 12 min to go but it's been about an hour with no movement.

So. I suspect hardware problems with the old iBook. Would that cause a problem with the migration?

If I force the new MacBook to reboot, what will happen?

Sometimes automatic isn't. :confused:

Margaret

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Leave it alone.
Might be placing stuff.

The older drives are notorious for bad blocks.

If you have to reboot.

Do a complete erase and install on the MacBook and try again. Too risky otherwise.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll keep my fingers crossed. I force-booted the new computer and everything seems to have transferred and all her important stuff is working.

An added bonus, she can now play some Pogo games that wouldn't play on her old iBook; $1149 + tax well spent :D :D

The only app that didn't seem to transfer was Flip4Mac - which makes sense because it's an add-on for Quicktime (I think).

Take care, Margaret

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.