Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started migration process using Wifi from 24”
iMac to 27” iMac. Both are sitting side by side. The new one sees my wifi network. BUT old iMac can’t find new iMac! Aaargh! What to do?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
#!%!
Spent all afternoon trying to get Migration Assistant to work between my old and new iMacs. Old one keeps looking for the new. New one keeps looking for a “source”.
Then I rebooted and connected both iMacs with Ethernet cable. Same result. Same messages. Frustrating beyond belief!
Is there some setting I’m missing? Or what?

·
Premium Member
15,942 Posts
Is there some setting I’m missing? Or what?

Can you connect them together and use Target Disk Mode perhaps???

Or do you have a cloned external backup drive of the Old Mac you could connect to the new Mac???

But I think even a Time Machine backup will work as well, but I don't know what you have available that you could use.

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Finally was able to use a cloned external hard drive and migrate all files. Some folders seem to be duplicated and I have a lot of opening folders and editing to do.
I now have two similar Apple mail accounts. Not sure which one to dump. Or can I dump both and add the primary account?
Should I REBUILD the mail account?

·
Premium Member
15,942 Posts
I can't find my many STICKIES from the old iMac. Any idea where they might be?
See if this doesn't help:
Transferring Stickies from one Mac to another
Your Stickies notes are stored in a file called StickiesDatabase. You can find it by following this path youruserfolder/Library/StickiesDatabase. Just copy that file from this location on your iMac to the same location on your MacBook Pro (replacing the StickiesDatabase file on your laptop).

I have two similar Apple mail accounts. Not sure which one to dump. Or can I dump both and add the primary account?
Why not include and import them both, at least you shouldn't lose anything that way but may end up with duplicates. I have no idea what "two similar Apple mail accounts" actually mean, nor what they might contain. I would doubt if they were both duplicated if used by a single user whether they were POP or IMAP accounts.

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got stickies transferred! 👍

My two email accounts have identical emails, but have slightly different account names. And different mailbox folders. I will make one inactive to see which one to delete.
AND Any idea how to transfer dozens of mail folders to my new iMac? Otherwise I have to scroll down years to find key emails.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Got stickies transferred! 👍

My two email accounts have identical emails, but have slightly different account names. And different mailbox folders. I will make one inactive to see which one to delete.
AND Any idea how to transfer dozens of mail folders to my new iMac? Otherwise I have to scroll down years to find key emails.
It sounds like something went bad in the migration. If there was nothing on the new iMac you needed to keep I would wipe it, reinstall, and do the migration again. It should’ve brought all your mail folders and everything over. It should’ve been a one to one clone.

·
Premium Member
15,942 Posts
It sounds like something went bad in the migration. If there was nothing on the new iMac you needed to keep I would wipe it, reinstall, and do the migration again.
+1. That sounds like an excellent suggestion.

But maybe try a better and different connection method this time. 😏

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
235 Posts
pm-r I couldn't do a Migration because my old and new iMacs had different ports and I did not have the correct adaptors. Had to transfer files from an EHD. Then get Adobe help to reactivate three CS6 apps on my new iMac with OS10l.14.3. Took days and many call backs. All working now. Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Premium Member
15,942 Posts
pm-r I couldn't do a Migration because my old and new iMacs had different ports and I did not have the correct adaptors. Had to transfer files from an EHD. Then get Adobe help to reactivate three CS6 apps on my new iMac with OS10l.14.3. Took days and many call backs. All working now. Thanks for your suggestions.

OK, I'm glad to hear it is all working well for you now.

It seems that others suggest using a dual boot system in order to keep their old Adobe CS6 files and apps working properly.
See: Compatibility of CS6 version Apps with Mac OS

Adobe certainly seems to create a lot of extra work for a lot of users when Mac migration or upgrade time comes around. :rolleyes:

- Patrick
=======

1 - 10 of 10 Posts