Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine won't scroll up anymore. Is there a one year warranty on these things like most other Apple products or am I done for?

·
Registered
152 Posts
The Truth is Out There

I've had the same problem. I've rubbed it with a cloth to clean the ball and it seems to restore it even though it's never been visibly dirty. Sometimes it acts like it's a software problem though. But I dunno about this. It better not fail just off warranty like my last keyboard and mouse did. XX)

·
Registered
694 Posts
I've had the same problem. I've rubbed it with a cloth to clean the ball and it seems to restore it even though it's never been visibly dirty. Sometimes it acts like it's a software problem though. But I dunno about this. It better not fail just off warranty like my last keyboard and mouse did. XX)
My ball supposedly stop working so long ago that I forgot it was there. Somehow I was reminded of it and thought maybe I can fix it. Some goggling I came upon a site which like mentioned in this thread said to turn the mouse upside down and clean the ball by rolling on a cloth (I use the one to clean my glasses). Spent a few minutes, didn't work, then again, bingo works like a charm now.

·
Premium Member
3,127 Posts
I cannot remember exactly where I read this tip, likely to have been the Apple Discussion Forums, but the poster got several grateful replies, and I'm bearing it in mind, just in case (or maybe just for when ...):

"Get a clean sheet of white paper. Unplug the Mighty Mouse from your computer. Turn the Mighty Mouse upside down and hold it firmly against the paper so the small trackball itself is in contact with the paper. Run it up and down against the paper with a firm but not overly excessive pressure for a minute. This will leave detritus from the trackball and its enclosure on the paper."

I haven't tried it yet.

Edit: Oops. Virtually duplicated JCCanuck's post!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had the same problem and solved it in the following way:
  • Turn the mouse upside down
  • Shake fairly hard
  • Using a polyester lense cleaning cloth that has been dampend with lense cleaning solution gently roll the ball in all directions
  • Turn the mouse over again
  • Try using it.
You may have to do this a couple of times.
It's worth a try and cheaper than new mouse!

·
Registered
236 Posts
When I did own a mighty mouse and the track ball would stop working I would add a few drops of alcohol and roll the ball around for a few seconds and wipe the excess, I would keep doing it till the black dirt would stop.

Alcohol, is there anything it can't do.;)

·
Registered
152 Posts
This is just a really a bad design. I just had to really clean mine up again even though it's not dirty. Maybe you need to operate it with latex gloves on. Funny how public PC terminals still work with a millimeter layer of filth on them and the AAPL quits with an invisible layer on it. Next time I'm gonna call support and waste their time. It's not even 90 days old. XX)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I thought my mightly mouse wasn't scrolling, but it turnes out, it was my firefox add on, photo-zoom.

But then I just got my Mighty Mouse so i am still getting us to it...

"Here I come to save the dayyyyyyy"

·
Registered
306 Posts
I haven't had many problems scrolling, but the right click has been so frustrating that I gave up on it long ago and just do the control-click :mad:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.