Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I haven't been here in a long while. I need some help if anyone care spare it. I have a:

Mid 2010 Mac-Mini - Mac mini "Core 2 Duo" 2.4 (Mid-2010) Specs (Mid-2010, MC270LL/A, Macmini4,1, A1347, 2364): EveryMac.com
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB video card
Mini display-port
HDMI

I'm considering buying a refurbished 24" Apple Cinema Display that has the Mini-Display port. Ideally, I want to connect my mid 2010 Mac Mini to the display via the mini display-port, so I can get 2560x1600 resolution.

QUESTIONS:
1) If I buy a newer M1 Mac-Mini, is there an adapter that will allow me to:
Connect the older Cinema Display with the mini display-port to the HDMI 2.0 port on the M1?

2) If yes, what is this adapter called? And does it actually work?

3) If the HDMI 2.0 port on the M1 mini is connected to an older 24" Cinema display via an adapter, what is the maximum resolution and refresh rate I would see with this setup?

Much thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Specs

Wikipedia
"This display is only officially compatible with Macs that have the Mini DisplayPort connector. A third-party converter must be used in order to use this display with older Macs. Furthermore, many newer Apple users with newer MacBooks that solely have USB-C ports have been continuously perplexed by the fact that their Apple-branded Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 adapters do not transmit a signal to their LED Cinema displays. Many users have mistakenly presumed their new MacBooks were incompatible with their older displays, when in fact an ordinary generic USB-C to Mini Display Port adapter will successfully transmit the same signal; This is due to a small internal difference in the newer Thunderbolt 2 and the older Mini Displayport standards."

M1 Mini support matrix

1 - 2 of 2 Posts