Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Microsoft Launches Virtual PC Software 

NewsFactor  -  Nov 10 3:30 PM
Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) has taken the wraps off its Virtual PC technology, which is designed to enhance interoperability and to help business customers bring along outdated applications when they upgrade to Windows XP systems. Yahoo! News
With the software, operating systems can run simultaneously on a PC, enabling tried and true legacy applications to continue on an interim basis while a company moves to XP. It supports all X86 operating systems, including Linux (news - web sites) -- but not on Mac machines, said Microsoft product manager Carla Huffman.

And then a week ago it was reported:
Microsoft Moves Virtual PC from Linux 
Ziff Davis  -  Oct 31 8:07 AM
Microsoft's forthcoming Virtual PC 2004 pulls away from Linux and other operating systems in favor of its own OS family. Ziff-Davis Yahoo! News

And still no G5 support.

If you can't beat them buy up a company and stop supporting the competition I guess. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
125 Posts
there's already a fantastic product for Windows called VMWare that does this exact same thing.. You can run multiple operating systems within their own windows on a single machine, and it supports pretty much every x86 OS, such as OS/2, Win 3.1, DOS, Win95, 98, XP, NT, 2000, Linux, etc.. It's an absolute godsend when it comes to developing applications that must be compatible with various MS operating systems.

I have absolutely no idea why Microsoft felt the need for their own version of this program, since it has been so well executed by VMWare. Now, if they could get Mac support, that's a different story..

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
From what I've seen, Microsoft's planning to roll out a new server product (the name escapes me at the moment) that incorporates VirtualPC technology. The idea being that you can run different operating systems on the same machine, thus you don't have to migrate applications to the latest and greatest version of Windows.

There are other interesting implications when you run your servers as virtual machines on another server, but I think the backward compatability problem is the main reason Microsoft is doing this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts