Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given Office is such a large part of the MS revenue stream, it makes you wonder why it is so buggy. Maybe it isn't on XP but Office X (with the various bug fixes) is, by far, the most troublesome app I have, even accounting for its frequency of use. The second most flakey app is IE 5.2.1. Maybe there's a trend here?

Talking of Office, does anyone know how to determine the individual size of slides in PowerPoint? We have SendMail limit of 7 MB and I have no way of determining which of my slides are bloated (so I can sub them with placeholders).

·
Registered
2 Posts
microsoft is doing the office party promotion where you get office for $300 cdn when you buy with a mac. basically is a oem package because they give it to you in a plain box.

turns out microsoft had no idea how succesful promo would be and they are selling tons. in fact, they are way behind on product because they have to print more. promo is so succesful that they may to something more permanent with oem version for the mac.

birdie told you

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Actually, this kind of promo is not new, MS has been selling Office XP Small Business Edition OEM through retail chains for about 8 months now, and at first they didn't have enough stock for that either.

Reason being, no one want;s to pay the 700$ for Office XP, or the near 800$ for Office v.X.

On an interesting side note, apparantly Office 11, the successor to XP due next year, is going to have some features designed to keep users upgrading. The reason for this is that fewer and fewer people are upgrading their versions of Office, they are content to stick with 2000 or XP. If the slowdown continues, MS will be losing a huge part of their revennue stream. Office, at last report, makes up nearly 40% of MS's revenue stream. Not something they are going to let go easily.

--PB

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Actually, I have no troubles with Office at all. I use Entourage as my primary email/contact management/schedule app, and Word I use very frequently. Excel I use infrequently, and PowerPoint I have never used. Maybe it is just powerpoint?

MSIE 5 has to be the single most ridiculous app that I use, but due to it being the most standards compliant browser for mac right now, and a general apathy towards changing, I stick with it.

--PB

1 - 4 of 4 Posts