Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,927 Posts
NeoOffice. It's a free/donation version of Open Office that does not require X11. Great if all you need to do is read an occasional Word Doc and don't want to spend the bucks on MS Office. Excel and Word will convert reasonably well, some issues with PowerPoint pesentations. Can also save in .doc, .xls formats.

NeoOffice Downloads

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
He already has Office 2004 (2003 was PC :p), he only wants a file format converter type thingy like G-Mo posted. I know people are trying to be helpful but think about this for a second, why would anyone prefer using Neo/Open Office over MS Office if they already have MS Office? I don't mean to diss the Open Source thing... it's great for people who can't afford or don't see value in the real thing... I used Open Office on my PC for a few years up to college but when I worked for two semesters before starting BCIT, I quickly realized just how much more powerful and less cumbersome and slow the real thing was and I plopped down $200 for the student edition right away. And as much as I love iWork '08... I'm going to purchase Office 2008 soon because I need the more powerful features for work (so I don't qualify for the Home Edition I guess? :( ). iWork will still have its place as a desktop publisher, personal spreadsheets, and all kinds of presentations (I did a KeyNote presenetation for work... my coworkers loved it!)

·
Premium Member
3,771 Posts
I'm going to purchase Office 2008 soon because I need the more powerful features for work (so I don't qualify for the Home Edition I guess? :(
Good news hombre: Home/Student edition is open to all without proof of anything. It gives you the 3 apps + entourage and 3 licence codes. I think that one of the few things missing is support for Exchange server.

If/when you buy it, remember to read/contribute to the http://Office 2008 Tips & Tricks Thread

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
I'm just wonderring if somewhere in the Home Edition it states that it may only be used for non-commercial work... meaning the version is officially off limits to businesses even though the only main thing it's missing is Exchange support. I plan to use Excel to benefit myself financially, meaning I may not qualify for Home Edition.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.