Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

AS you may know now, MS unveiled the Surface 3. Bigger! Thinner! Faster! And this is how they're going after Apple, by saying the Macbook Air is on the heavier side of town. LOL.

[via]

Oh lord...

some quick stats:

Core i3, 64GB, 4GB RAM - $799
Core i5, 128GB, 4GB RAM - $999
Core i5, 256GB, 8GB RAM - $1,299
Core i7, 256GB, 8GB RAM - $1,549
Core i7, 512GB, 8GB - $1,949

[via]

H

·
Premium Member
16,091 Posts

AS you may know now, MS unveiled the Surface 3. Bigger! Thinner! Faster! And this is how they're going after Apple, by saying the Macbook Air is on the heavier side of town. LOL.

Oh lord...
H

They may want to start updating some of their facts, and they might want to start with the actual weight with keyboard... :eek:

Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 Could Age Quickly Due To Its Year-Old Processor - Forbes

Like a whole 0.01 lb heavier!, GHEESE,!! :rolleyes:

"By way of a quick comparison, the 12-inch Surface Pro 3 in laptop mode looks to weigh roughly the same as an 11-inch MBA, at around 1.1kg (2.4 pounds). We only know the weight of the tablet component right now (800 grams, 1.76 pounds), but the Type Cover probably adds at least 250g to that, based on the weight of the existing Surface Pro 2 keyboard accessory. (Update: the combined weight is confirmed as 2.41 pounds.) "

·
Registered
993 Posts
I think that the release of Surface Pro 3 is good news for both PC and Mac users. It offers combination of features that were not available before at a high but not unreasonable price (at least at the low end). As the Forbes article points out, it will spur other companies (including Apple I think) to respond with better offerings than the current ones. (Not that I'm complaining about the current Mac MBA's; I'm totally happy with my 13".)

Forgetting the operating system for the moment, it makes an interesting trade-off against the 13" MBA - lighter weight, touchscreen, option to use as a tablet and higher res against greater battery life, better working parts (trackpad for sure, keyboard probably based on past failings of ultrabooks and tablets), a larger display, and a more stable structure for typing and reading. When considering it against a Mac, I think its real competitor is the MBA, not the iPad Air. We have an iPad in the house, and while I find it OK for mail, web browsing, playing games and watching video, I would never consider it a work machine and I won't until Apple makes one that can run OS X.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
We have an iPad in the house, and while I find it OK for mail, web browsing, playing games and watching video, I would never consider it a work machine and I won't until Apple makes one that can run OS X.
This.

I too have an iPad as well as a Mac Mini and a MBPr and agree completely. It is little more than an entertainment toy for me and does not allow any real work to be performed, at least for the applications I use daily.

·
Premium Member
10,314 Posts
Apples and oranges, so to speak. One is a laptop, the other, a tablet. It's like saying look how much lighter this ball point pen is compared to this typewriter. If you compare the MBA with another laptop, or the iPad with a Surface 3, seems to me Apple still wins in the lightness department. Apparently the Microsoft ad wizards didn't anticipate that people might figure this out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
993 Posts
Apples and oranges, so to speak. One is a laptop, the other, a tablet. It's like saying look how much lighter this ball point pen is compared to this typewriter. If you compare the MBA with another laptop, or the iPad with a Surface 3, seems to me Apple still wins in the lightness department. Apparently the Microsoft ad wizards didn't anticipate that people might figure this out.
I would partly disagree. In my mind, the Surface 3 is comparable to a laptop, at least when you include the keyboard. It runs a full OS (not my favourite but that's a different matter), just like a laptop, and can do the full range of work. However, MS was disingenuous by not including the weight of the keyboard in the comparison with the MBA, and to a lesser extent by not including it in the price. I would have a hard time understanding why almost anyone would price this high a price for a Surface 3 without wanting the option of treating it as laptop. So when you add the keyboard to the Surface 3, the weight of the device is that of the 11" MBA, its cost is about the same as a comparably equipped 13" MBA, and the display size is between the two.

Incidentally, Apple doesn't necessarily beat PC's in the weight department anymore. One can buy 11 and 13" ultrabooks that weigh as little as the MBA equivalent. Surprisingly, you seem to pay more for the PC's in that class than for the MBA.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well don't know what MS is trying to do? Their Surface bombed and now they want to compete against already established MBA. MBA is a good notebook at entry level and Surface is not even that good in tablet market place. It couldn't beat iPad so is going after MBA.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I played with one the other day. It's nice hardware but the software isn't ready as it was buggy and had all sorts of issues. I'd rather have a real laptop but competition is always a good thing
Have you seen anyone using a Surface Tab?? I m still to find one :D
iPads are shining.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts