Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From GameSpy:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Microsoft has allegedly bought the game division of the French conglomerate Vivendi Universal, according to various online publications. In all rumors on the subject Microsoft has been regarded as the most potential candidate to obtain Vivendi Interactive. If the reports are in fact true we should expect to receive an official announcement soon. Thus far both companies have refrained from releasing anything concrete.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If Blizzard Entertainment, my # 1 Mac game creator, gets bought out by M$, I swear I'll never touch another Microsoft product. :mad:

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Great googly moogly, not another game house swallowed by the monster of redmond! Say it ain't so! Say it ain't so!

--PB

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
RicktheChemist wrote:
Sure, they are all owned and controlled by Microsft, but I fail to see the ressemblance between X Box and Windows.

The XBox and Windows share a number of APIs (the XBox runs a slimmed-down version of Windows NT, if I recall correctly). Porting a game from Windows to the XBox is fairly straightforward, from what I've heard. Porting it from the XBox to Windows, though, is a bit more challenging, if only because of the huge diversity of hardware the game will have to run on.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RicktheChemist:
Great investment oppurtunity for Microsoft.. but bad idea for Blizzard. I would still buy Blizzard products under the condition that Microsoft did not dwell too far into the programming and let BLizzard freedom to develop what they wanted to like other divisions at Microsoft. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, right. Where's that Mac version of Halo thay promised? :(

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hayesk:
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RicktheChemist:
[qb]Great investment oppurtunity for Microsoft.. but bad idea for Blizzard. I would still buy Blizzard products under the condition that Microsoft did not dwell too far into the programming and let BLizzard freedom to develop what they wanted to like other divisions at Microsoft.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, right. Where's that Mac version of Halo thay promised? :([/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a irreleavent statement. Halo has yet to make it to the PC platform as well, and both Bungie and Microsoft has promised a Mac version, supposably to ship the same date as the PC version.

Don't let a long delay in the Halo development confuse you into thinking Halo won't make it to the Mac (or the PC, for that matter).

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hayesk:

Yeah, right. Where's that Mac version of Halo they promised? :(
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Currently under dedvelopment (again), having the game engine updated and scheduled for silmultaneous release with the PC version later this year, around the same time Halo 2 comesout for XBOX.

--PB

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LIke I said, PosterBoy, in case he didn't get it the first time. ;) :D

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Apparently Halo for Mac is being ported by Westlake. At least we can trust Westlake to actually produce something, they're a very good Mac porting house.

You can find this quote:

"Another Bold game Westlake is working on is a Mac conversion of Halo: Combat Evolved, the hit Xbox action game that was, in a previous incarnation, originally meant for the Mac and Windows. Westlake said that's in "Prototype" stage, an important development milestone that precedes the game's playable status. Bold hopes to ship the game almost concurrently with its PC counterpart's release, expected later in 2003."

at this link http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0301/22.westlake.php

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I heard that as well. That's a good thing like Kosh mentioned - at least we know work is in progress.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Halo is coming out for Mac. No need to panic or worry.

M$ to buy Blizzard? Ummm... Not so likely, methinks. I just don't think Blizzard would bite on something like that.

Bungie bit because it gave them the chance to fix their distribution issues and clean up some lingering stuff (And apparently sacrifice poor Konoko of Oni)

Rare, makers of a number of cool Nintendo Exclusive titles went M$ because of lagging sales and a growing discontent between them and Nintendo over obscure stuff no one really understood.

Blizzard is pretty solid and self-contained. They wouldn't really gain much benefit, so I doubt they would join the Microsoft Juggernaught.

Stranger things HAVE happened, but I suspect this is just rumour.

:cool:

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Strongblade wrote:
M$ to buy Blizzard? Ummm... Not so likely, methinks. I just don't think Blizzard would bite on something like that.

It doesn't matter if Blizzard would bite or not since Vivendi Universal owns Blizzard (and Sierra). If Microsoft bought anything, they'd buy Vivendi Universal Games, not just Blizzard.

Stranger things HAVE happened, but I suspect this is just rumour.

It's not strange at all; Microsoft is one of the few companies large enough to buy VUGames, Vivendi Universal has been having financial troubles for a while, and there's been talk of Vivendi Universal selling off various business units in order to help solve those financial problems.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Well... in that case...

Peril Sensitive Sunglasses anyone?

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
"Put these on"
Now we all get to watch a great company get wiped like the people's memory in MiB...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts