Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Heh heh heh. this reminds me of the Anti UNIX ad campaign from about 6 or 8 months ago. MS posted a website that was all about how much better Win2K was for running as a webserver than any version of UNIX. They hosted the site on a UNIX server, that is until someone found out and posted that fact on slashdot.

--PB

·
Registered
762 Posts
I remember when this came out. I was dabbling in Linux at that time.
One thing that wasn't mentioned in the piece was that Microsoft had to almost triple the Win2k servers to do the same job that the Unix server was doing. :eek:

·
Registered
778 Posts
umm, I think I speak for us all here when I say Windows Sucks

Wait, I took that out of context. What I really meant to say is that "Windows Sucks"

That's better.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
jd112 wrote:
"just to futher the this complicated matter, MS Winblowz is also BSD based, or more specifically parts of it are based on BSD code, if you check the license you will see specific reference to it."

Microsoft (like just about everyone else out there) used the BSD TCP/IP stack as the basis for Windows' TCP/IP stack (hence the mention of BSD in the license agreement). Windows (well NT, 2000, and XP) has more in common overall with VMS than it does with BSD.

·
Registered
8 Posts
just to futher the this complicated matter, MS Winblowz is also BSD based, or more specifically parts of it are based on BSD code, if you check the license you will see specific reference to it.

Kinda a strange link between winblowz and OS X!

James

btw I have no illusions that windows is anywhere's near a decent os.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts