Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the Microsoft presser.

"The acquisition will increase the accessibility of real-time video and voice communications, bringing benefits to both consumers and enterprise users and generating significant new business and revenue opportunities. The combination will extend Skype’s world-class brand and the reach of its networked platform, while enhancing Microsoft’s existing portfolio of real-time communications products and services.

With 170 million connected users and over 207 billion minutes of voice and video conversations in 2010, Skype has been a pioneer in creating rich, meaningful connections among friends, families and business colleagues globally. Microsoft has a long-standing focus and investment in real-time communications across its various platforms, including Lync (which saw 30 percent revenue growth in Q3), Outlook, Messenger, Hotmail and Xbox LIVE.

Skype will support Microsoft devices like Xbox and Kinect, Windows Phone and a wide array of Windows devices, and Microsoft will connect Skype users with Lync, Outlook, Xbox Live and other communities. Microsoft will continue to invest in and support Skype clients on non-Microsoft platforms.

“Skype is a phenomenal service that is loved by millions of people around the world,” said Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer. “Together we will create the future of real-time communications so people can easily stay connected to family, friends, clients and colleagues anywhere in the world.”

Skype will become a new business division within Microsoft, and Skype CEO Tony Bates will assume the title of president of the Microsoft Skype Division, reporting directly to Ballmer."

I expect another announcement shortly that there will now be several Skype product offerings:

- Skype Home Premium
- Skype Home Premium Upgrade
- Skype Professional
- Skype Professional Upgrade
- Skype Ultimate
- Skype Ultimate Upgrade

Wow... 8.5 Billion dollars. That's a lot of coin for one company!

Microsoft... when you can't invent it, buy it. :D

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep... see my last post in that thread. :)

The Anything Mac forum is for Mac and Mac related technology discussion. The Everything Else thread is more for off-topic, non Mac-technology related topics. Skype is a very prominent Mac-related technology.

I posted a new thread in the Anything Mac section, then I also tweeted the URL to the thread. (To over 600 followers)

I later realized a thread was started in the Everything Else section, so I was going to move it to the Anything Mac forum, then merge the two.

After I moved it, it wouldn't let me merge the threads together for some reason.

I didn't want to delete new thread, as I had just sent out the link on Twitter, so I closed the old one and directed to the new one now that the announcement was official.

*Phew* :eek:

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At any rate, I've never really got into Skype that much, and now I'm even less likelier. I do think that Apple needs to clarify there whole iChat - FaceTime strategy and open it up more to be cross platform and better implemented on the iPhone.

·
tilting at windmills
3,667 Posts
My wife and I depend on Skype to keep in touch with our families and friends around the world - every one of whom is on Windows, so iChat or Facetime is not an option for us unless it runs on Windows.

I hope Microsoft do not follow their "embrace, extend, extinguish" formula with Skype. I also hope they do not stop supporting Skype on Mac.

Cheers

·
Registered
853 Posts
The release I saw says that Microsoft will continue to invest/produce non windows versions of skype. So iOS and mac should still be supported.

I bought some Skype credits a couple of years ago while in the states to use over wifi on my iPhone. The credits don't seem to ever end. Still running off of the $14 I paid. Don't use it often but works well for the few long distance calls or to avoid roaming charges.

Sent from my iPhone

G

·
Microsoft... when you can't invent it, buy it. :D
Microsoft hasn't invented anything in a very long time, their MO has always been to buy.

I don't think we'll see big changes in Skype's offerings, MS probably just wants to incorporate skype into the software suites, think things like a "call" button in Office so you can call the last person that worked on the document or bundling with windows ala iChat style. For MS to make it windows proprietary, after paying 8.5 billion for it, would be shooting themselves in the foot.

Andy Ihnatko sums it up well here: Microsoft Buys Skype for $8.5 Billion – Andy Ihnatko's Celestial Waste of Bandwidth (BETA)

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Apple has bought out other people's ideas, too. Let's not pretend it's a Microsoft thing.

Back to the subject at hand, I don't think MS' acquisition will change much for Skype or its users.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Good by Skype. Too bad.
Agreed.

Tried to use it on a motorcycle trip last fall to maintain contact with the family via the laptop.

What a PITA. Dropped frames, freezing, fuzzy, poor audio & video quality.

Good bye & good riddance.

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
Agreed.

Tried to use it on a motorcycle trip last fall to maintain contact with the family via the laptop.

What a PITA. Dropped frames, freezing, fuzzy, poor audio & video quality.

Good bye & good riddance.
In my experience, Skype has worked far more consistently than iChat. iChat has great quality when it can make a connection. I'm going to say that, anecdotally, iChat fails to connect 66% of the time I try to use it. Skype fails maybe 2% of the time I use it.

I even have a phone in my house that uses Skype as it's service. No landline, just my Skype-In number and Skype ID. No video on the phone but I have computers for that when we choose to go the video route, which is about 90% of the time.

A couple of weeks ago I managed a remote board meeting from my MacBook Pro with an iPad user, a PC user (with video) and a mobile phone user on wifi in a Starbucks. Sorry, but that's not going to happen in iChat.

·
Seriously?
4,442 Posts
Apple has bought out other people's ideas, too. Let's not pretend it's a Microsoft thing.

Back to the subject at hand, I don't think MS' acquisition will change much for Skype or its users.
Wasn't Apple in talks to Aquire Nuance Voice Recognition, but Nuance wouldn't budge so Apple is going into partnership with them and using it in their new data center.

·
Premium Member
15,964 Posts
Here's hoping that MS will at least fix the horrible user interface of Skype 5.x and some of its other quirks that the Skype developers didn't really seem to care about.

Maybe they knew of the impending acquisition and just did nothing to improve the 5.x version??

Definitely not Mac-like and I Trashed it and went back to Skype v. 2.8.

·
Registered
437 Posts
i'm surprised at the price, especially considering they lost nearly a billion dollars last year. the thing about skype is that it doesn't have exclusivity. ichat, yahoo, gmail and who knows who else already have services that are about the same. skype is the most widespread because it was the first (or just early maybe?). while they have lots of money invested in infrastructure, the other services can easily expand into that area it seems to me. i have skype open all the time, but i can easily have a couple of others open for people to call me on whichever service they like. if microsoft messes up weaponising it, er, i mean profitizing it, people will just drift off to other similar services...

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Here's hoping that MS will at least fix the horrible user interface of Skype 5.x and some of its other quirks that the Skype developers didn't really seem to care about.

Maybe they knew of the impending acquisition and just did nothing to improve the 5.x version??

Definitely not Mac-like and I Trashed it and went back to Skype v. 2.8.
has MS ever fixed anything? if it is anything like office 2011 ( calling that fixed ) - well we are screwed then.. anything MS touches gets tarnished.

·
$webGeek = 1;
331 Posts
I think this is a great opportunity that Apple could take advantage of by stepping it up a notch on iChat and Facetime. If they could combine the 2 apps into one beautiful cross platform masterpiece, I'd bet there will be a good sized market waiting for some kind of replacement to Skype. I would include myself in that market for sure, once Microsloth gets their hands on Skype.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts