Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many moons ago I saw a gizmo that had many analogue sound inputs and output-ed to USB. Can't find it anymore, but it brings me to the following Q:

In order to convert my LPs, Tapes and MDs to MP3/AAC, what is going to give me the cleanest sound: (a) an RCA cable from the preamp to the mike in of my PowerBook; (b) a direct feed from my turntable into a gizmo (to be identified) that goes into USB; or (c) none of the above?...

Thanks

·
Registered
291 Posts
Gee Gerb. Reads to me like the iMic may be the way to go if Moscool is looking to get higher/better quality sound. Have you ever tried one? I'd be interested too.

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Gee Gerb. Reads to me like the iMic may be the way to go if Moscool is looking to get higher/better quality sound. Have you ever tried one? I'd be interested too.
The iMic is definitely a cool gadget, but it's not clear to me that there's any advantage to using one on a computer that has a regular analog mic / line-in port. I was under the impression that it was invented to get around the lack of a line-in or microphone port on early iMacs and the Digital Audio G4s. You'll notice that the later model Macs, including the G5, have proper analog ports again.

Cheers :-> Bill

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, so I'll try the 'in' for the time being. Anybody out there with a specific knowledge of turntables with Moving Coil/Moving Magnet levels. Should I use my pre-amp or can one input directly from the turntable?

Also, it seems that the software availalbe is incredibly over-specified for simpe archiving purposes. I don't mind clicks & pops (they are part of the charm of LPs), but I want to have some control on sound levels, glueing sides/separating tracks and converting to iTunes (AAC or MP3). Any recommendations?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
there is an app from griffin called final vinyl thats supposed to be great. i havent tried it yet though.
also, iin one of my mac magazines(cant remember which one) there is a how to for recording vinyl to mp3. ill search around for it!

·
Registered
26 Posts
moscool, I would definatly use a pre-amp from your Turntable. If not the level into your puter will be too low.

808kik

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
The iMic is a little better than an internal port because there is no interference from computer fans, disks, etc. If you aren't happy with the internal port, try the iMic, or one of many other devices.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts