Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll try to explain my problem as best as I can (sorry I'm a bit computer illiterate lol)

Here is the macbook I have:

The unit above contains the following options:

Memory 065-6232 512MB 667 DDR2 SDRAM- 2x256
Hard Drive 065-6227 80GB Serial ATA drive
Optical Drive 065-6230 Combo Drive
Modem 065-6513 No Modem
Apple Software Solutions 065-6200 No Optional Software
Adapter 065-6504 Apple Mini-DVI to VGA Adapter
Keyboard/Mac OS Language 065-6235 Keyboard/Mac OS
Country Kit/AEX 065-6313 Airport Extreme Card&BT

I've had my macbook for almost a year, and I find it sooooooooooooo god damn slow!!! I'm not running any sort of big software.. but I do have lots of pictures in Iphoto.

However, my computer is really slow even when I'm surfing the internet and have a few tabs opened! I constantly get the "beach ball"

Is this normal because I only have 512mb??

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Uhhh... Fyrefly... if that was a joke, that was a lame joke. The OP said they are not computer literate. They might not get your sarcasm. I'm not even getting your sarcasm, so in case you're serious, you're very wrong. You should never suggest someone go and spend money when they don't have to.

Now for a REAL answer. If all you're doing is opening a browser (with no other applications running) there's no way you should get a beachball. Hell, I was editing in Final Cut with 512MB and I didn't get a beachball!

It could be a rogue app causing the problem, or it could be a memoy "issue" (as in, it's broken). If you're not computer literate and it's still under warranty, I'd get it checked by a professional.

A7

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
You could have Mail and 45 browser windows open and it still wouldn't cause a beachball on 512MB. That's not normal. BUT... it could be one of the sites you're on... if it's a huge Java app and you leave it running and it's timing out, or has a memory leak, that could be an issue.

Test it out by doing a full restart and running a few programs without going to the web. If you get the beachball, there's something wrong with the system. If you don't get it until you do the web thing, it might be related to something you're doing. (i.e. Some crazy myspace pages give my 2GB ram system a beachball!)

A7

Edit: Also waht however said... a full hard drive will slow down the system dramatically.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a great suggestion! I'm going to try that out.

My bf insists that it's because I try to do too many things at once.. I do have tons of emails, and lots and lots of picture in my iphoto.

He says my computer starts using virtual memory or something??

Oh and he says that the reason why I get a beachball when I am in word has something to do with the intel chip? Apparently I don't have the "right" version of word.. and that a new one is coming out?

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Ahhh... now we're getting some info. :) Yes, if you're running some Rosetta apps (like Word) you will likely get the beachball. It occured to me that you might not be closing your apps (and if you're not closing Rosetta apps, that could cause random beachballs).

So tell me... how do you close a program when you're done with it?

A7

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah sorry I should have been more specific :p

The thing is that I don't use word on a daily basis and I am still having the problem with the beachball...

I exit a program the right way, don't worry lol

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Karinex, apparently I'm wrong -- but I think you should first make sure you're programs aren't running when you close them (just closing by pressing the button at the top lefthand corner doesn't do the trick, you need to APPLE+Q or go to the program Name in the Menu bar and go to quit). If you already are doing that -- I'd say test your RAM with Rember, Make sure your Hard Drive isn't ful (HowEver's excellent suggestion) and then my suggestion is still to go get more RAM.

It's not expensive... this is one example:
Corsair PC2-5300 1GB 1X1GB DDR2-667 200PIN SODIMM Memory - DirectCanada

That being said -- I have more to deal with in this thread.

Uhhh... Fyrefly... if that was a joke, that was a lame joke. The OP said they are not computer literate. They might not get your sarcasm. I'm not even getting your sarcasm, so in case you're serious, you're very wrong. You should never suggest someone go and spend money when they don't have to. Now for a REAL answer...
Ummmm.... ouch. It was definitely not Sarcasm. I had an iMac G5 and moved to an iMac CoreDuo and I noticed it was SLOWER somehow. (The Computer was generally less responsive). It was because the G5 had 1GB RAM and the CoreDuo had 512 (and the iMac had a video card which means it doesn't suck off the Main RAM, something that can't be said for the Macbook).

So, my suggestion to up the RAM in order to get a performance boost was a real one, and I honestly don't think that I'm *wrong*, as you suggested.

If you need more proof -- check out OtherWorldComputing's Memory tests on a MacBook:

OtherWorldComputing.com

Some of numbers there almost DOUBLE when you go from 512 to 1GB RAM. Am I still wrong?

If all you're doing is opening a browser (with no other applications running) there's no way you should get a beachball. Hell, I was editing in Final Cut with 512MB and I didn't get a beachball!
On a MacBook? FCP's not even supported on MacBooks. I edit in FCP on a MBP with 2GB RAM and I still get beachballs.

It could be a rogue app causing the problem, or it could be a memoy "issue" (as in, it's broken). If you're not computer literate and it's still under warranty, I'd get it checked by a professional.
These are all good suggestions. You can check RAM with the Program called "Rember" -- Rember 0.3.3b - MacUpdate

The OP also mentioned that they're using MS Word -- Rosetta -- I'd again make the suggestion of More RAM. I think Apple's biggest mistake was only including 512 RAM in the MacBooks when the Graphics Card syphons off 84 MB or so -- leaving you with 428MB RAM -- not much for OSX.

Even MacDoc says:

MacDoc.com said:
Got a MacBook or Intel iMac ?- Rosetta needs max ram

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Ummmm.... ouch. It was definitely not Sarcasm.
Sorry... didn't mean to be harsh. And I didn't mean to suggest you were wrong per se. I meant to suggest that telling someone that "definitely it's the ram" and "go spend money" with no first tests was wrong. Obviously, adding ram will help. There's no question there. But to suggest it's definitely ram without running any kinds of tests first could have potentially wasted Karine's money. Not everyone has that kind of cash lying around to just spend on a whim. ;)

And yes... I ran FCS on a Macbook Pro with 512MB (the original models only had 512) and I didn't get any beachballs. Even with HD content. I don't know what you're doing with it. ;)

A7

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Hahahah -- Well with 1GB RAM costing $45 -- it's a prety decent deal -- My 512 --> 2GB upgrade on my iMac costed $300+ back almost a year ago.

And I know the Original MacBooks came with 512 RAM -- I had one, but I immediately upped it to 1GB and later 2GB when funds permitted. :D

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Well, if you want to take a risk, you can get generic PC ram for $45 for 1GB. BUT, it's a gamble... might work, might not, might stop working randomly.

Apple certified ram is at least $65 for 1GB. AND, since it's better to run the ram in matched pairs, it's actually $90 for 2x512MB Certified Mac ram.

A7

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
I have the exact same ram in my macbook pro. I have 2 sticks of this ram, and it works flawlessly. Absolutely no issues with this ram at all.
And good for you. I had the exact same ram in MY Macbook Pro, and I've had to return 2 sticks. Luckily, I DIDN'T buy from Canada Computers (because their returns are not so friendly), and the place I DID buy from (CTY computers) was kind enought to replace, no questions asked.

Like I said... it's a gamble. People can come on here and post all day long that they have this ram or that... take your chances if you wish.

A7

1 - 20 of 20 Posts