Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like i'm going to McMaster next year and i was wondering if anyone knew if their networks support OSX. I beleive it uses a simple DHCP connection and if thats the case, then i shouldn't have any problems.

Has anyone here used McMaster's network?

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Hi Cosmo
I have been to many events, and meetings at MacMaster, but havent attended full time classes there. It really is a pretty nice univerity.
I take it you are moving there.
Any DHCP shuld work with OSX, I would assume they have ethernet in the dorms, but I dont know anyone there, many of my friends were there in the mid to late 80s and my brother went there in the early seventies for mechanical engineering. I think my nephew is going there in the fall of this year for his second year in something artsy.
There is a mac group that meets there monthly, but I have pnly got to one meeting.
Best of luck, What will you be taking ?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Don't count on it. York University had a program implemented on their network known as MAYA. This program was their "portal" to the internet. When they first implemented it, the Macintosh CPU's were not able to connect to the internet or the network.

York mapped everyones MAC addresses on their networks and we had a hellova time getting it to work with the portal software as they refused to support the mac platform.

The program was then changed to something simply called "York Passport" and now everyone is able to get on their high speed network simply and easily. I do know that McMaster has Macs on campus in their art departments as well as their newspaper so they do exist.

I am sure they have protocols in place to allow for Macs in the residences to work. I think they also have a fairly well WI-FI network in place now as well but I am not totally sure on that one....

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is a very important question. My daughter is off to Bishops in Sept. & the university wwebsite specifies "Windows Only" with no support for Macs. I was planning to hunt up an Emac or used Imac for her----but must I stoop to spending good money for something running XP?

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
posted June 06, 2003 05:13 PM
------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a very important question. My daughter is off to Bishops in Sept. & the university wwebsite specifies "Windows Only" with no support for Macs. I was planning to hunt up an Emac or used Imac for her----but must I stoop to spending good money for something running XP?

That seems unfair.
You should inquire what the issue is for the lack of support.
Most experienced Mac users can take care of their own systems. You dont need their support, just a decent network connection. My mac has no problem connecting to my collecge websites and intranets and both Windows and Linux web servers with no issues.
I dont understand why anyone would purposely make software that excludes certain users..
There may be some specific software they have to use in the program of study, you should check it out first or just bite it and get a disposable windows machine.
But frankly if a Mac is not enough there is often plenty of on campus computers with the required software set up for students to use, as is the case at our school.
In my case, the stuff I needed either worked in virtual PC or worked in MacOs so I got through fine.

·
Registered
778 Posts
. I dont understand why anyone would purposely make software that excludes certain users.
I hear that. Its like you telling someone that you don't want to do business with them because of their colour. religion or sexuality.

Windows Administrators however, are the total ignorant bliss and very often refuse to support anything outside of the great religion, race, and mentality that is Microsoft.

With that thought, Macs are usually able to get onto the local LANS with little trouble, unless of course they have specific restrictions in place. In the case of York, this was rectified and even before so, with some tinkering, the original portal was able to be accessed.I believe it had something to do with the version of Java the Mac OS and Internet Explorer were running.

You should inquire what the issue is for the lack of support.
Damned striaght! It's your money putting her through college. Every single IT admin, employess, and faculty member are there to serve her. Without that money (and everyone elses) that college or university would cease to exist.!

I dont understand why anyone would purposely make software that excludes certain users..
Again, this is the sweet ignorance of the Windows IT mentality that they have been "trained" in to support and only support their own platform. It's funny, the systems that are reliable (Mac OS, Mac OS X, Linux, BSD, SCO, AIX) and other operating systems are often the ones that are "shunned" by the Windows IT admins.

Funny how OS's that run with very little need to be maintained once setup are never run in enterprise, school, and other places. I believe that Windows admins view this as nothing but "job preservation" since if they didn't have a half-assed system such as Windows, they would have no jobs!

I would tell you to tell the school to make sure your son/daughter is able to connect to their LAN/WAN with the system they are bringing in whether its Mac OS, Mac OS X, linux or even friggin Windows 95. They are there to serve you!

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Ha... I'n looking to go back to school as well. Although both U of T and Ryerson are within a good walking distance from home, I still want to see that they have some support. I've been told that U of T has a WiFi network set-up. I plan on asking anyhow, but this would be a tragic case of indifference if they did not support Macs. I mean, esp some of the Colleges who offer Design programs - who are all on Mac Plat. Tisk Tisk...

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Since we are on the topic, does anyone have any experience or know some people and the network at the University of Calgary?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts