Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started this morning out of the blue. Cursor was trying to select all Desktop items. Clicks wouldn't register. Cursor moves fine. Rebooted. Worked fine for a short time and then back to no clicks. Booted into other account, couldn't get any click to register. No spillage of any kind. What are some of the first things to start looking at when clicks on trackpad stop registering?

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Just started this morning out of the blue. Cursor was trying to select all Desktop items. Clicks wouldn't register. Cursor moves fine. Rebooted. Worked fine for a short time and then back to no clicks. Booted into other account, couldn't get any click to register. No spillage of any kind. What are some of the first things to start looking at when clicks on trackpad stop registering?
How old and what model MacBook Pro?

A swollen battery, pushing the trackpad up from below can cause the symptoms you describe. Feel the edges where your trackpad is embedded in the case; with a swollen battery, you can often feel one side or other more flush with or even higher than the case.

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It’s an early 2015 13” purchased from Apple as a refurb in early 2016.
I kind of doubt the battery issue as there is no apparent bulging and also, an attached USB mouse doesn’t rectify the problem.
I have AppleCare till Nov 28 and happen to be going to the States in just a week. Hopefully, any hardware issue will show itself before that time.

·
Premium Member
17,980 Posts
Do you do pressure-clicks or tap-clicks (Trackpad Prefs in System Preferences)?

Have you cleaned the trackpad? A recent application of hand cream or other liquid can play havoc with a trackpad. Does tracking of the cursor work fine?

And + on dtaylor's suggestion - worth popping the bottom off the laptop just to visually check the battery. It may be the beginning of a swollen battery issue.

And if none of that is an issue - maybe try a PRAM and SMC reset.

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you do pressure-clicks or tap-clicks (Trackpad Prefs in System Preferences)?

Have you cleaned the trackpad? A recent application of hand cream or other liquid can play havoc with a trackpad. Does tracking of the cursor work fine?

And + on dtaylor's suggestion - worth popping the bottom off the laptop just to visually check the battery. It may be the beginning of a swollen battery issue.

And if none of that is an issue - maybe try a PRAM and SMC reset.
I’ll check on the prefs when I get back to the MBP.
No, I haven’t cleaned the trackpad.
The tracking of the cursor works fine.
If it was a swollen battery issue, wouldn’t the USB mouse override the trackpad, at least if the trackpad isn’t acting as if the left click is pressed?

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is embarrassing to admit, but the issue possibly is due to the fact that after a meeting last night, I had placed my BT Magic Mouse into my laptop bag with it turned on. I've turned it off and, so far, the issue hasn't surfaced. The reason I didn't even think of that possibility is because I've always had to reconnect with the Magic Mouse after the MBP has been sleeping or turned off. For some reason, the mouse possibly stayed connected and due to it's placement in the bag, the left click was activated?? I'll post back if the issue returns.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts