Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've read some highly critical and other indifferent comments about this issue at various Internet Mac sites.

I'm satisfied with mine.

Only suggestion I have is go visit one in a store to see if the screen is to your liking or not.

Cheers

·
Registered
342 Posts
For the record, my first gen MBP 1.83 Ghz is the matte screen and is very clear and sharp. I bought a year ago last month and it has performed flawlessly.
Ditto that.

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only store that may carry Apple products would be Toronto (Montreal) or Halifax. A flight in either direction would cost me at least a third of the price of a new MacBook Pro. What is the satisfaction policy of Apple dealers? I thought I read somewhere that you are allowed a certain number of days to return it.

·
IAMSTIG
2,676 Posts
I have the matte screen and don't notice any issue with grain. It almost looks like he doesn't have the screen resolution set to the LCD panels native resolution.

·
Premium Member
30,886 Posts
He's seen the matte finish as "grainy" - of course it is - just like a movie screen - it's meant to disperse the light somewhat so angle is less critical.
ALL matte screens have that including the 30" I'm working on and my 50 " HDTV.

Glossy screens do not have that issue but different issues - they look very rich on axis but suffer reflection and off axis changes far more than matte screens.

Dispersion versus reflection versus viewing angle changes are trade offs.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
My MBP has the matte finish. I can see on my MBP what the guy demonstrated, here:

But it is very minor in my eyes (maybe my eyes are ****e?). if I could have done it again, however, I would probably have opted for the glossy finish. it just makes things look more rich, the glass is easier to clean, and thankfully, I was surprised at how under control the reflective glare was when I checked it out at a store! :yikes: :clap:

I'm not 100% sure if the glossy screen is the best way to go for accurate colour representation for graphic or video pros... but LCD displays in general have also been taken to task about this in the past as well. I wonder if the technology has improved to become more trustworthy given that the CRT is waning...?

·
Premium Member
15,708 Posts
How far is St. John's? I bet MUN has a computer store. Write them and ask if they have these models on display.

The only store that may carry Apple products would be Toronto (Montreal) or Halifax. A flight in either direction would cost me at least a third of the price of a new MacBook Pro. What is the satisfaction policy of Apple dealers? I thought I read somewhere that you are allowed a certain number of days to return it.

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Macaholic- if that grain is what I would have to put up with, I'd rather not. That's just a personal preference. As far as St John's goes, that's a good $800+ return. The chance is nil to get out to see what I would be purchasing. On the other hand, I am driving out beginning in late June and returning in August. I need to post again for this one....

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Yeah, there's definitely a grain, its hardly noticeable though, in fact, i didnt notice at all until that guy brought it up.

what i did /not/ like however was that parts of my screen started LOSING LUMINANCE giving the appearance of really greasy fingerprint smudges on the screen and its absolutely ridiculous.

Also, MBPs have a rarely mentioned issue with pitting/scratching on the topcase where the display bezel meets the latch. aluminium + aluminium +light pressure = bad.

Luckily i had the fellas at the apple store change my screen and my topcase and they were even nice enough to throw in a marware protective pad for the wristpads which i strongly advise buying (if not for protection, just for the sheer comfort, they're lovely) :D

·
Premium Member
15,708 Posts
Then again...

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/13657/

!

"Apple Inc. has been hit with another class-action lawsuit. This time the formal complaint comes courtesy of a pair of MacBook and MacBook Pro owners who charge the company with falsely advertising the quality and capabilities of the displays used in the Intel notebooks," Prince McLean reports for AppleInsider.

"In the May 3rd filing with the Superior Court of California for the County of San Diego, private citizens Fred Greaves and Dave Gatley are seeking multiple forms of relief and reimbursement, in addition to an injunction that would prevent Apple from continuing to market its existing notebook displays alongside claims that they support 'millions of colors' and offer views 'simply unavailable on other portables,'" McLean reports.

McLean reports, "Specifically, they charge that the Cupertino-based company's MacBook and MacBook Pro notebook displays are only capable of displaying the 'illusion of millions of colors through the use of a software technique referred to as 'dithering,' which causes nearby pixels on the display to use slightly varying shades of colors that trick the human eye into perceiving the desired color even though it is not truly that color.'"

"Citations in the suit imply that the Apple notebooks may employ sub-par displays only capable of 6 bits per channel (18-bit color), rather than 8 bits per channel, making them capable of displaying only 262,144 colors without dithering, as opposed to millions. That would explain why within weeks of purchase, a flood of customers reported that their MacBook and MacBook Pro displays appeared 'grainy' or 'sparkly,' according to the complaint," McLean reports.

·
Registered
83 Posts
For the record, my first gen MBP 1.83 Ghz is the matte screen and is very clear and sharp. I bought it a year ago last month and it has performed flawlessly.

Did you opt for Apple Care? November will be my one year anniversary and I'm wondering if I should use the $400 on some new toy or give it to Steve Jobs so he can buy some new toy. Either way, that money is going to be used frivolously.

Let's see: Shiny new toy that I can touch and play with or a piece of paper that affords me the so-called peace of mind.

FWIW, I wanted the glossy screen but they were out so I took the matte screen. It's my first Mac and I"m excited all the same.

·
Registered
534 Posts
My MBP has the matte finish. I can see on my MBP what the guy demonstrated, here:

But it is very minor in my eyes (maybe my eyes are ****e?). if I could have done it again, however, I would probably have opted for the glossy finish. it just makes things look more rich, the glass is easier to clean, and thankfully, I was surprised at how under control the reflective glare was when I checked it out at a store! :yikes: :clap:

I'm not 100% sure if the glossy screen is the best way to go for accurate colour representation for graphic or video pros... but LCD displays in general have also been taken to task about this in the past as well. I wonder if the technology has improved to become more trustworthy given that the CRT is waning...?
I had an Acer with this same problem. But it was an Acer and expectations were a bit lower.

·
Registered
968 Posts
My Macbook Pro has none of the grain issues shown in this thread. Not sure why some would show it and others would not.

Trev

1 - 16 of 16 Posts