Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just downloaded istat widget as my fans on the MBP seem to be quit loud. The only active windows I have had on since turning the machine on today, were safari (just basic web browsing) and msn messenger(sitting idle) THAT's IT.

Anyhow fan speeds are 4200RPM (right fan and left fans) and climbing.

Why would this be? Any ideas? Screen brightness is at about 30-40%

·
Registered
968 Posts
I just downloaded istat widget as my fans on the MBP seem to be quit loud. The only active windows I have had on since turning the machine on today, were safari (just basic web browsing) and msn messenger(sitting idle) THAT's IT.

Anyhow fan speeds are 4200RPM (right fan and left fans) and climbing.

Why would this be? Any ideas? Screen brightness is at about 30-40%
How hot is the room you're in? Do you have the laptop sitting on a bed, lap, or desk? The fans will go up to try and cool the machine, so if the fan speed is that high and you're not using any heavy apps then its getting hot from something else. My MBP CD 2.0GHz will hum along nicely at around 50-55 Celcius doing normal things (browsing the web, IM, iTunes), but the moment I load up something like WoW it shoots through the roof. I've installed SMC Fan Control and I crank up the fan RPMs when playing WoW so that the laptop stays cooler. I also have a Targus Chillpad that I keep the MBP on to keep it a few degrees cooler. It has some fans on it that pull heat away from the bottom of the laptop. It helps to keep my lap cool, too.

Trev

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TrevX,

I have the laptop on a desk. It has not moved since I got it here. Flat wooden desk. The room is average temperatures..not hot at all. I would argue 20-22 degree's?? I got off the phone with apple support and I removed the battery and held the power button down for 5 seconds...resetting everything. SInce then it has been stable at around 2000 rpm (give or take a bit) just basic web browsing, nothing streneous. I do hear the constant 'hum' of the fans more so on the left side (where the power chord attaches) but am I to assume that 'hum' of the fans is regular?

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Sounds like you got it fixed. It might have been that some info in the software that controls the fans got corrupted, and with the reset, that info was fixed.

As noted the software SMC Fan Control, can allow you to increase the fan speed (I use it on my Mac Pro as it was overheating when I use BOINC and SETI).

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Normal speed on a flat surface is around 1000

·
Registered
968 Posts
I'm pretty sure that wood is a heat conductor, so having it lie flat on a wooden surface is probably keeping it warmer than it would be otherwise. Get something like what I have, the Targus Chillpad which is aluminum and is designed to dissipate heat. It will also raise the laptop a little which may (or may not) be more comfortable. YMMV. However, 2000rpm is much better than 4000 like you had it before. Glad to see it was fixed.

Trev

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
hey guys I know this isn't a Mac Book but my Mac Mini 1.5 core solo's fan NEVER turns off... idling temp is usually 54C and it's always at 1643rmp or higher. The sound is driving me nuts because when i first bought it the machine was always completely silent except when running heavy duty apps... now the fans won't shut off. No dust bunnies inside... I'm beginning to think the technician that serviced it last buggered something up and forgot to plug something in... thoughts? thanks guys

·
Registered
968 Posts
hey guys I know this isn't a Mac Book but my Mac Mini 1.5 core solo's fan NEVER turns off... idling temp is usually 54C and it's always at 1643rmp or higher. The sound is driving me nuts because when i first bought it the machine was always completely silent except when running heavy duty apps... now the fans won't shut off. No dust bunnies inside... I'm beginning to think the technician that serviced it last buggered something up and forgot to plug something in... thoughts? thanks guys
My Mac mini 1.25GHz G4 was completely silent when I first got it. The fans hardly ever came on even when playing games. Now, though, they come on ALL the time. Even when just watching some Youtube videos or copying files. I use compressed air to clean it out every now and then, but I think it was probably a system update that made the heat sensor more sensitive or something. Mine randomly goes to sleep sometimes because it gets so hot, even with the fans blowing full blast. I have the mini turned on its side so there is a clear path to the vents, but it doesn't help. It doesn't happen very much, but mostly after an hour or so playing WoW. Too much heat in that enclosed space.

Trev

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.