Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a MacBook Pro mainly for my wife and daughter to use, but I also wanted one because of the possibility of running PC games that had never been released for a Mac. When I read the following Barefeats comparison, I pulled the trigger and ordered a base model MBP 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo...
http://www.barefeats.com/rosa03.html
In a nutshell... the base MBP with 128 MB VRAM, is only 9% slower than a MBP with 256 MB VRAM, when playing 3D games. In other words, the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT is a very good video card, even the 128 MB variety.

After buying Windows XP SP2, and Max Payne 2, on eBay, I installed Bootcamp and got down to business. The whole process was fairly painless, requiring only some reading and patience. (there's no way that installing Windows can be described as... fun) :eek:

I've been playing Max Payne 2 for a little while now, and the games video prefs are all at their highest settings. The texture maps for this game are very good, and the graphics are really enjoyable. (Max Payne 2 is nearly 4 years old, so newer 3D games will be more demanding.) But the NVIDIA graphics card in the MBP is better than you might expect.

It's nice when an experiment turns out well. I had doubts about everything, from Bootcamp, to Windows, to installing a PC game. But now I won't hesitate to buy another PC game that's of interest, because I know that it will likely run very well on my MBP. Max Payne 2 was less than 10 bucks on eBay, so price doesn't always need to be a big concern. We may have missed a lot of games as Mac owners, but we now have an avenue for enjoying those PC games. Count me as someone who is very pleased.

:D

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way... my purpose in this post was to encourage others who may have been wondering about whether an Intel Mac (largely excluding the MacBook, because of it's shared video RAM) is a viable gaming machine. Because of Bootcamp, it truly is!

With the tons of PC games out there, many of which that are dirt cheap, an Intel Mac can really be a gaming dream machine for a long time Mac user. It is also, of course, an excellent computer, gaming aside.

Nuff said. :cool:

·
Registered
968 Posts
I don't know if anyone has been following the news on Cider, the game engine built on Wine from Transgaming, but I can tell you that there is some really promising stuff there. For instance, I downloaded the Need For Speed Carbon PC demo and, with a little config file editing and with help from Cider, I had a PC game running in a double-clickable Mac app. The hardest part was downloading the demo since the mirror sites were so slow. The rest of it was copying the game files to a certain directory, editing a .plist file to tell it where the NFS Carbon demo .exe was, and thats it. Double click Cider and up comes NFS Carbon running at native speed. On my MBP with 256MB VRAM I bumped everything up to the highest detail and it ran buttery smooth. This same "hack" has worked for GTA: San Andreas, Oblivion, the other Need for Speeds, and a score of other games. The potential here is amazing! Anyway, for more details check out this thread from Insanely Mac Forums:

NeedForSpeed CARBON on Intel Macs - InsanelyMac Forum

Also, check out:

Log In. You'll have to register for this one, but it has all the details you need for running PC games within Cider.

Trev

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excellent info Trev!
I might give that NFS demo a try. Have to read through that forum more though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gaming and Mac's

I'm a recent converter and lovin ever minute of it. I mainly use my XP box to just game now. With Bootcamp coming with Leopard I'm really thinking about getting a MBP. I'd have the best of both worlds. I mainly play steam games so I think they'll run fine. I thought about the new IMAC's but the video card in those are not as good as the one's in the MBP's. I think now with the ability for ppl to due boot the Mac's that a lot of ppl will be switching. I'm just waiting till Oct.

Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm just waiting till Oct.
Good idea, at this late stage of August it's just best to wait another 6 weeks or so and get Leopard for free.

By the way, welcome to ehMac!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts