Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can somebody explain why my G3 400 takes the same amount of time to get the Profile information as a 1Ghz Powerbook?

I was at Bmac checking the PBooks and iBooks and it just felt like they were not that faster at opening normal apps.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Probably because this activity is hard-disk intensive, and IDE buses in Mac/PBooks really haven't evolved much in the last 5 years.

·
Premium Member
5,246 Posts
Laptops are slower than destops at most things. It's the nature of the beast.

The performance gap with Apple HW isn't quite as dramatic as it is comparing Intel desktop vs portables, but it's still there.

Your test (System Profiler) is a pretty good example of an application that will tax the portable's bottlenecks (slower hard drive, for example) while on another application that relies mainly on processor speed and RAM, the faster PB would probably show it's speed in comparison.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,140 Posts
But doesn't the system profiler also poll all of the busses and accrue the information? The startup time of that app is a reflection not of the system performance per se, but its peripherals. For example, polling the Firewire bus requires a number of cycles to probe for devices since some of the those devices may be busy (writing, saving, etc). Likewise if there is no device, since the app won't know that until no answer is returned.

You should compare an app like graphic converter or something else that doesn't automatically access the web to check for updates (like all the Abode cr-apps do). Anyone else noticed the creeping depreciation of performance of Adobe apps on macs over the years? GoLive 6 is a mess but I'm stuck with it.... Seems like Adobe is becoming far more Windoze oriented.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.