Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was originally going to get a Dell M1330. I ordered it on July 3rd and soon found it wouldn't ship until August 5th! I decided I could stomach that since I didn't need the laptop until August anyways, so I let things continue on.

Today I found out that Dell cancelled my order (wasn't that nice of them)! Something about an internal SKU number. They said they had placed the order again for me. When I asked for the ship date, they told me it would be in September!!! Now the ridiculous delay time worked the first time, but I wasn't going to play that game again. I cancelled my order, sent off a nasty email, and am now in the market for another notebook.

I had a MacBook and could never get used to that odd key spacing. I just couldn't type properly. It also wasn't powerful enough for what I wanted to do with it. I ended up selling it and am now considering a MBP.

Things I'm concerned about:

1. Size
I've seen the exact size specifications on the Apple website but how does this compare to the MacBook "in real life". I found the MacBook to be a very good size and anything a bit bigger wouldn't hurt.

2. Heat
I've heard a lot of issues regarding heat. How hot does thing thing really get? Is it an issue?

3. Wireless
I hear that the new MBPs have been having lots of Kernel Panicks due to wireless. Is this still an issue? Are a lot of people experiencing it?

4. Parallels w/ Office 2007
I already have a licensed copy of Microsoft Office 2007 Professional so I don't really want to be buying a Mac version. Is Parallels going to make the machine reach high temperatures and kill the battery life?

5. Yellow Tinting
I've heard about a lot of people receiving MBPs with the lower half of the screen having a "yellow tint". Has this problem been resolved?

I think that just about covers it.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
1. Size
I've seen the exact size specifications on the Apple website but how does this compare to the MacBook "in real life". I found the MacBook to be a very good size and anything a bit bigger wouldn't hurt.
Very nice size IMO. The 15" widescreen is very good, and it's not that much heavier than a MB.
2. Heat
I've heard a lot of issues regarding heat. How hot does thing thing really get? Is it an issue?
It can get pretty hot when you push it (i.e., video), but for word processing, browsing and e-mail, it's fine sitting on my lap (as it is now).
3. Wireless
I hear that the new MBPs have been having lots of Kernel Panicks due to wireless. Is this still an issue? Are a lot of people experiencing it?
This is my main beef with the machine so far. No kernel panics, but I'm finding the wireless pretty flakey. I'm hoping it's something that will be fixed with an update soon, but I'm on the point of calling Apple to file a ticket. My wireless signal can vary from 100% to 30% (and sometimes drop out completely) while I'm sitting about 30 feet away from my AirPort Express router. Meanwhile, My iBook has never gotten anything less than a full signal anywhere in the house. It's even flakey when I have it sitting right beside the router.
I already have a licensed copy of Microsoft Office 2007 Professional so I don't really want to be buying a Mac version. Is Parallels going to make the machine reach high temperatures and kill the battery life?
Can't help you here...
5. Yellow Tinting
I've heard about a lot of people receiving MBPs with the lower half of the screen having a "yellow tint". Has this problem been resolved?
No yellow tint that I can see.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey there, thanks for your response! Hopefully everyone else has had such a positive experience (minus the wireless flakiness). I look forward to other responses, particularly about Parallels.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I had a MacBook and could never get used to that odd key spacing. I just couldn't type properly. It also wasn't powerful enough for what I wanted to do with it. I ended up selling it and am now considering a MBP.
I find that my fingers "sense" which keyboard I'm at an adjust accordingly - sure, it takes some time, but it isn't nearly as dramatic as when I was using a NEC Mobile Pro 880 (I think it was eight inches wide).

1. Size
I'm happy with the 15" size - a reasonable size to carry around.

2. Heat
It does get warm/hot, but I'm not really one to have it sitting on my lap anyway. When rendering, I've seen the temperature get into the high 70s, even though I use a high tech cooling system (not - it cost $1).

3. Wireless
I haven't had any issues with the wireless - but I only use it in coffee shops and the pub I hang out at.

Parallels works fine. As for chewing into your battery - I'm not sure as I haven't really run tests to see, but I fired up Parallels/WinXP, and it is using ~30% (one core, I suspect) of my first-gen MBP.

5. Yellow Tinting
Nope. Nothing of the sort.

I did have to get my right-side fan changed, but they did that while I waited. Apparently this was a known issue with the early MBPs.

Otherwise, I'm perfectly happy with mine. I love it!

·
Registered
334 Posts
I bought a 15" MacBook Pro as my first Mac to take to school with me in September. I really didnt need the high power but I did need the bigger screen. The power does come in handy for when I do Photoshop work. My most demanding work on my MBP is photo editing. I do no video editing what so ever. Only photo. Most of the work I will be doing for school will be either Word, Powerpoint, Excel and possibly Access (I will need to install Windows XP to run Access if needed). I am finding the wireless to be fine with mine and I'm using a Siemens router/modem combination unit. Occaisonally I will get only 3 or 4 bars of signal but it usually corrects itself in a few minutes. In terms of yellowing I haven't seen any of that on my machine. One thing about the Apple laptops are they are compact. The computer is the minimum size needed. For example, the top case is only about 15.5 inches wide total because it doesn't have any of the other extra plastic casing Dell laptops have. It is also very thin because of the different latch design and the minimal space used. There is no "extra" plastic like you see on other non-Apple laptops. I can type very quicky on this keyboard, even faster than my desktop one because there is minimal key spacing. I dont think I would be able to get used to using the Macbook keyboard. The spaces are just to big and I also am a bit of a "sloppy" typer meaning I like to hit keys at different places depending on my last keystroke.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
I'm finding the wireless pretty flakey. I'm hoping it's something that will be fixed with an update soon, but I'm on the point of calling Apple to file a ticket. My wireless signal can vary from 100% to 30% (and sometimes drop out completely) while I'm sitting about 30 feet away from my AirPort Express router. Meanwhile, My iBook has never gotten anything less than a full signal anywhere in the house. It's even flakey when I have it sitting right beside the router.
Powerbooks/MacBookPros have always had notoriously bad wireless reception. The iBook frequently put the Powerbook to shame in terms of connecting to Wireless back in the day, and the MacBook vs. Pro widened the gap even further.

The Aluminum that they make the MBPs out of interferes with wireless signals. There's just no way around it. My personal MB will connect with many more wireless routers than the MBP at my work -- and consistently gets WAY better signal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your replies. Just how bad is this wireless? Wireless is going to be very important, and if I'm being dropped or can't connect all the time it's not going to work too well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts