Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since getting an iMac DV 400, I don't think it's slow by far, but would love to get the maxmimum possible performance from it, so I'm looking for idea's and if it's worth doing some of these idea's. Current specs are: 400 MHz G3, 192 MB, 10 GB 7200-RPM HD, ATI Rage 128 w/8 MB (2X-AGP). I'm intending on throwing in a 512 MB DIMM for sure (to up RAM to 640 MB - it can hold 1 GB). Would replacing the drive with a fast 8 MB cache make a large difference as well? I plan on replacing the drive anyway because of its small capacity, but so the extra dollar worth it for the 8 MB cache? Anything else I can do? I know that with the iMac I'm pretty limited.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you really want to make it scream get a 900 mhz cpu upgrade from Powerlogix.
Whoa! This I some how didn't hear about. Amazing!

Now, is this $500.00 (CDN) upgrade worth it? Kinda like the Powerbook situation - fast G4 processor upgrade available, but slow VRAM (and lack of VRAM) to go with it. I suppose it may be worth it if you just love your iMac and have already put a gig of RAM into it, 120 GB HD, etc. :D

[ September 15, 2003, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: Lars ]

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's also the G4/500, 1 MB L2 '250 MHz' (1:2) upgrade for slot-loading iMacs. Now that is impressive. CRT G4 iMac. It's also cheaper than the 900 MHz G3 upgrade, but probably not quite as fast. But having a G4 processor is always a good thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts