ehMac banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
That's a great series of pictures. It is good to see the Japanese making such progress on rebuilding.

·
Premium Member
17,945 Posts
The long-lasting and far-reaching effects of this disaster....

Tsunami Debris Already Arriving

The coastal community of Tofino, B.C., spent the Christmas season mentally preparing for the grim task of collecting, sorting and cataloguing debris from the tsunami that devastated parts of coastal Japan early this year.

Mayor Perry Schmunk is certain that items that were washed away in the March 11 disaster in northern Japan have already made it to B.C. shores, in particular at the surfing capital of Long Beach.

"Definitely this stuff is increasing in incidence that is coming ashore," Schmunk said, pointing to some lumber with Japanese export stamps on it.
(HuffingtonPost Canada)

·
Registered
701 Posts
The long-lasting and far-reaching effects of this disaster....

Tsunami Debris Already Arriving
9 months it took.. wow.. Strange though, I remember a few months back when it reached Hawaii, and even a few weeks back when it reached California. Did it just now reach BC?

Well ok, I guess it was quick, I remember this story earlier in the year about a girl in Hawaii or something who found a message in a bottle from a girl in Japan... a message that was sent 5 years before lol

·
Premium Member
17,945 Posts
An interesting tsunami-related story...

How collective memory saved lives during Japan's tsunami

I am an engineer and a disaster researcher; I went to Japan after the March 11, 2011, magnitude 9.0 Tohoku earthquake to try to identify lessons there that could benefit future disaster-response operations.

In late May, I was following the usual research routine of interviewing individuals involved at the various stages of the disaster response...
In a refugee center on the beautiful island of Miyatojima, at the entrance to Matsushima Bay, I stumbled on a story that, by its reach back in time, taught me something unexpected: Collective memory, as much as science and engineering, may save your life.
he and his neighbors were well aware that a large earthquake would generate a large tsunami and they knew, particularly, what to do because "a thousand years ago" a massive earthquake and tsunami had all but wiped out Murohama.
Some 50 generations later, on March 11, 2011, the Murohama tsunami warning tower — which was supposed to sound an alarm — was silent, toppled by the temblor. Still, without the benefit of an official warning system supported by modern science, the locals relied on the lesson that had been transmitted generation to generation for 1,000 years. "We all know the story about the two tsunami waves that collided at the shrine,"
(LA Times)

61 - 66 of 66 Posts