Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Parts of the BC coast are on tsunami advisory.
This is the biggest quake since the Chile quake back in 1900. The footage on CNN is incredible.

:(

·
Premium Member
30,870 Posts
Wow just got out of the Sydney opera and saw this on - incredible footage. They've shut the bullet trains and some are stranded.
Boston Globe not even reporting it yet. :eek:

Some incredible photos from Vancouver Sun

Japan's biggest earthquake in 140 years triggers massive tsunami

Houses swept out to sea burn following a tsunami and earthquake in Natori City in northeastern Japan March 11, 2011. The biggest earthquake to hit Japan since records began 140 years ago struck the northeast coast on Friday, triggering a 10-metre tsunami that swept away everything in its path, including houses, ships, cars and farm buildings on fire.

Read more: Japan's biggest earthquake in 140 years triggers massive tsunami

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Wow.. just watching some footage. :eek: :(

Reports of hundreds of casualties already, which I'm sure sadly will continue to rise. :(

·
Premium Member
17,758 Posts
I had intended to post this article yesterday (before the quake) and thought better of it. Thankfully Marc found it as well.

World to see biggest full moon in two decades - Yahoo! News UK

Dr Tim O'Brien, a researcher at the Jodrell Bank Centre for Astrophysics at the University of Manchester, said: "The dangers are really overplayed. You do get a bit higher than average tides than usual along coastlines as a result of the moon's gravitational pull, but nothing so significant that will cause a serious climatic disaster or anything for people to worry about."

But according to Dr Victor Gostin, a Planetary and Environmental Geoscientist at Adelaide University, there may be a link between large-scale earthquakes in places around the equator and new and full moon situations. He said: "This is because the Earth-tides (analogous to ocean tides) may be the final trigger that sets off the earthquake."

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
I had intended to post this article yesterday (before the quake) and thought better of it. Thankfully Marc found it as well.

World to see biggest full moon in two decades - Yahoo! News UK
Holy cow... that's fascinating. :eek: Very eery that was printed 2 days ago and how the article reports "The last time the moon passed close to the Earth was on 10 January 2005, around the time of the Indonesian earthquake that measured 9.0 on the Richter scale. "

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wasn't going to post this for fear some may think I'm crazy but a few days ago I predicted a large earthquake somewhere in the ring of fire. My good friend in Hawaii jokingly said Japan was next.

I follow the hawaiian volcano activity numerous times a day. About 2 days before the New Zealand quake the regular lava flows at Kilauea ceased. I told my Hawaiian friend some pressure must be building up somewhere. Sure enough it was NZ. The night before yesterday the new eruptions ceased and there was no visible signs of lava. I told my friend yesterday evening something was up again. That's when he mentioned Japan because it's at the other end of the plates. These plates are in a constant push and shove state. I'm sure both of these incidents are coincidence but if it happens a third time I'll really start to wonder about the correlation, if any.

Watch for another large quake soon on the other side of the world.

·
Premium Member
17,956 Posts
The Atlantic has a photoblog covering the damage in Japan.

And from Engadget, the manufacturing impact of the earthquake:

Our thoughts this morning are with the folks in Japan and the other Pacific areas affected by the massive 8.9 earthquake that struck about 230 miles East of Tokyo. Reports of damage are flooding in from the country, and indeed many familiar manufacturers are checking in. Sony and Toyota have both stopped operations in their factories due to damage. Tragically, one Honda worker lost his life after a wall collapsed, while several Panasonic workers are said to have suffered minor injuries. It remains to be seen exactly what impacts this will have on consumers, but Sony's closed factories were responsible for the production of Blu-ray discs and batteries, while the numerous automotive shutdowns could result in short-term shortages. This bad news sent stocks downward, with German share prices for Sony dropping 2.5 percent and Honda 4.5 percent. We're still watching with concern to see what other impacts the resultant tsunamis could have, but for now we'll keep hoping for the best.

Update: Some further news from Smarthouse, which indicates that Sharp's new 10G LCD plant in Sakai City shut itself down automatically upon first signs of a quake. Hooray for technology

·
Premium Member
30,870 Posts
That Atlantic link was incredible Mark

this one in particular

·
Premium Member
17,956 Posts
Uh-oh.

Japan struggling to cool down nuclear reactor, minister says

The Fukushima Daiichi nuclear reactor, located about 160 miles north of Tokyo, "remains at a high temperature" because it "cannot cool down," Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano told reporters.

Trade Minister Banri Kaieda said that a small radiation leak could occur at the plant, Japan's Kyodo News Agency reported early Saturday morning.

These and other issues caused by the 8.9-magnitude tremor prompted authorities to order an evacuation of people within 2 to 3 kilometers (1.2 to 1.8 miles) of the plant, a move Edano called "precautionary."
(CNN)

·
}<-('o')-
9,800 Posts
Sheesh. A nuclear reactor that is not completely under control. The stuff of nightmares and horror flicks.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Life almost seems normal in tokyo the morning after.just way more people than usual cuz not many could get home last night. Me included lol

North of japan was hit bad, the images I see in tv are tragic.

Had ttouble sleeping cuz more quakes hit during the night. Geez.

Still, I see very little damage here. Amazing build quality!

Sent from my SH-03C

·
Premium Member
17,758 Posts
A bit of misinformation on the evening news saying that Three Mile Island was the only core meltdown in the US history.

The SL-1, or Stationary Low-Power Reactor Number One, was a United States Army experimental nuclear power reactor which underwent a steam explosion and meltdown on January 3, 1961, killing its three operators. The direct cause was the improper withdrawal of the central control rod, responsible for absorbing neutrons in the poorly-designed reactor core. The event is the only known fatal reactor accident in the United States.
Story independently confirmed, more complete stories here:
SL-1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
SL-1 Accident - Idaho National Engineering Laboratory - The World's First Deadly Atomic Accident

·
}<-('o')-
9,800 Posts
Life almost seems normal in tokyo the morning after.just way more people than usual cuz not many could get home last night. Me included lol

North of japan was hit bad, the images I see in tv are tragic.

Had ttouble sleeping cuz more quakes hit during the night. Geez.

Still, I see very little damage here. Amazing build quality!

Sent from my SH-03C
Good to hear you are OK patrix.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Took me nearly 24 hours to make sure all members of my family and friends / loved ones are ok.

I was awe struck watching the live footage of the Tsunami hit last night.

The reactor stuff is scary. I hope that the reality of the situation is transparent and communicated properly to the Japanese people and the world.

It's been a long day and I am under the influence of sake, so will cut out here. But I am relieved that my loved ones were in the grand scheme of things doing fine after yesterday's events.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,167 Posts
This just in from the Washington Post --

"An explosion rocked one of Japan's nuclear power plants Saturday, causing a portion of a building to crumble, sending white smoke billowing into the air and prompting Japanese officials to warn those in the vicinity to cover their mouths and stay indoors.

In what may be the most serious nuclear power crisis since the Chernobyl disaster, the explosion followed large tremors at the Fukushima Daiichi number one reactor Saturday afternoon, injuring four workers who were struggling to get the quake-stricken unit under control."

Japan reports explosion in nuclear power plant damaged by earthquake

·
Canadian By Choice
117,167 Posts
(CNN) -- "The powerful earthquake that unleashed a devastating tsunami Friday appears to have moved the main island of Japan by 8 feet (2.4 meters) and shifted the Earth on its axis.

"At this point, we know that one GPS station moved (8 feet), and we have seen a map from GSI (Geospatial Information Authority) in Japan showing the pattern of shift over a large area is consistent with about that much shift of the land mass," said Kenneth Hudnut, a geophysicist with the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS).

Reports from the National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology in Italy estimated the 8.9-magnitude quake shifted the planet on its axis by nearly 4 inches (10 centimeters)."

Quake moved Japan coast 8 feet; shifted Earth's axis - CNN.com

An astounding fact re this tragic event. :(

1 - 20 of 66 Posts