Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Great... another browser to contend with when developing sites (I think it's a Javascript problem)...

You can go here: http://pages.infinit.net/mannyp/main.html

This page should work in Safari... but I haven't tested it since it's release. It's optimized for Explorer, unfortunately.

I have to revisit my site very soon and do some serious updating... my portfolio has grown exponentially since.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Using Safari Enhancer, you can make websites think your browser is actually IE.

Seems to fool Manny's site too. personally, I think it's just because the site is designed to render based on the browser it detects and most sites have never heard of the 5-day old Safari browser... yet...

:cool:

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Strongblade:
Using Safari Enhancer, you can make websites think your browser is actually IE.

Seems to fool Manny's site too. personally, I think it's just because the site is designed to render based on the browser it detects and most sites have never heard of the 5-day old Safari browser... yet...

:cool:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You could say that... the site is approximately a year old since the last update (2 years since I implemented it -- I think). I've been too busy at work to think about it... and too lazy at home to care ('till now). :D

However, there isn't any browser detection code used -- just an alert script. It isn't made to render to specific browsers. I just built it so it worked in IE (the majority of the audience's browser of choice). The problems lie with getting Netscape and IE to look and work the same when using HTML 4.0 layers. IE is easier and more reliable to wield than NS. Go figure.

I'm just happy that Safari doesn't blow my site apart... that's all that matters.

As it stands the site will be changing soon anyway... more Flash thus more consistency between browsers, OSes, and less hair-pulling. :mad:

Plus, Flash is just so much sexier. ;)

P.S. One thing I noticed that Safari isn't faster at is Flash... it's actually slower when viewed compared to IE. Try this web site out and see the differences:

2advanced

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jfpoole:
mannyp wrote:
Plus, Flash is just so much sexier.

Flash is also more annoying, but that's just me :D
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's all in the way you use it -- in the right hands, it can enhance the user experience without hindering it. Otherwise, it can end up being a pain in the ass for your audience.

Of course to completely label Flash in such a broad stroke is kind of short-sighted don't ya think? ;) There are too many possible applications for such a technology to simply call it annoying. And it works on mulitple platforms with practically no fuss!

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
mannyp wrote:
It's all in the way you use it -- in the right hands, it can enhance the user experience without hindering it. Otherwise, it can end up being a pain in the ass for your audience.

Unless you're doing something inherently visual, then chances are HTML is a better bet than Flash. The rule of thumb "content is inversely proportional to the amount of Flash" has served me well.

And it works on mulitple platforms with practically no fuss!

Ah, but it doesn't work at all on some platforms, where HTML would've at least worked, if not worked well. HTML was designed to degrade (somewhat gracefully), so even if I'm not using the latest and greatest web browser, the content will still come through. With Flash, it's an all-or-nothing deal. Not so good if you're using a screen reader or if you're dealing with a text-only browser.

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
So, unless of course your audience is a group of blind Commodore Amiga-using folk... then Flash would be totally screwed. :D

Then again, HTML isn't totally free of problems in itself -- especially when dealing with multiple browsers on multiple platforms using different vesions of HTML! It hasn't evolved without growing pains of it's own.

I'm not going to just develop a site showcasing my visual talents in HTML alone... there are things I create that, HTML cannot by it's very nature, be delivered to my intended audience. Without some 3rd party assitance of course. ;)

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
mannyp wrote:
So, unless of course your audience is a group of blind Commodore Amiga-using folk... then Flash would be totally screwed.

Well, just about any blind user would be screwed, as would anyone without an implementation of Flash (I've heard horror stories about getting Flash to work with Linux and X, for example). Plus, what about us weirdos that still surf with Lynx from time to time?

Then again, HTML isn't totally free of problems in itself -- especially when dealing with multiple browsers on multiple platforms using different vesions of HTML! It hasn't evolved without growing pains of it's own.

Oh, HTML isn't perfect, but at least it gives you a fighting chance at interoperability. Worst-case scenario you can always read the HTML code :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts