ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this may be a stupid thing to want to do but I want to make phone calls from my old Performa LC 575 I have these things that may do it a Supra Express 144 Plus Modem or a Farlon Phone Net thing if thats any good. One more thing this computer is not online so any files to do this can be a maximum of 1.3 MBs so I can put them on a floppy

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
I think I can help

what you're looking for is called MegaPhone and it was included with some performa
machines. You'll also need to look for the Apple Telephony patch too
I'll look for you

Gee-I actually remember owning a Performa 5200 and 6400-uh oh I think I just exposed my age

John B

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
if I recall MegaPhone required the Geoport modem or voice capable Apple internal modem. The phonenet adaptor is for use on an Appletalk network running on your household phone line and has nothing to do with what you want to do.

The modem you have most likely does not support voice.

I don't recall if the 575 supports Geoport modems at all.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Are you looking for VOIP or just to have the mac dial out. the first I have no idea. The second, FileMaker Pro supported a dial out function for classic macs. If your modem has two jacks for voice pass through, it supports it. That was one of the things I lost with OS X and data only modems.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if I recall MegaPhone required the Geoport modem or voice capable Apple internal modem. The phonenet adaptor is for use on an Appletalk network running on your household phone line and has nothing to do with what you want to do.

The modem you have most likely does not support voice.

I don't recall if the 575 supports Geoport modems at all.

Kevin
what do you mean by not support Geoport modems

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
what do you mean by not support Geoport modems
The Geoport required a special DSP chip on the motherboard. At least that was the deal when it first shipped with the 660av and 840av. It seemed to me that Apple started to drop this support and sw shortly afterwards, could be wrong though.

You should do a google search on Apple Geoport. apple geoport - Google Search

http://apple.doit.wisc.edu/apple_support_area/Apple_Software_Updates/Old/Apple_Telecom_2.3.3.txt

From that last article from Apple it appears that you will require the internal comm slot modem.

Not even sure that the Geoport sw will do what you seem to be asking. It wasn't for making phone calls exactly if I recall. Mainly made the AV Macs digital answering machines and faxes.

K

1 - 6 of 6 Posts