Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No not THAT list. ;)

Our raggedy Anne website is getting a facelift
over the holiday and we want to list on our resources page the Mac news and tech related sites that you have found useful.

Obviously stuff like Versiontracker we will be listing anyway but if you know others that are useful please let us know here ( it'll be nice for others to see here as well ).

Also any specialty sites for audio, video and graphics that you've found to be beneficial and accurate.

We'd like your comments on sites too, what in particular you liked.

Much appreciated. :cool:

[ November 27, 2003, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: macdoc ]

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Macfixit.com for sure, and emphasize that the forums there are free. It's my first stop every day; some posters here might find answers there to a lot of the questions they post here, and save a bit of bandwidth
Older archives, articles require a pro membership(got one), but the forums are searchable, free, and go back to 040, Classic, Plus, etc. issues. Membership on the forums is also free, and though sometimes advice is not totally accurate, someone will usually chip in with a correction, much like here ;) XLR8YourMac.com is my second stop over coffee-tons of info on upgrades of every kind, useful forums for browsing but membership is closed, due to server situation/software, not because it's exclusive. If you want to tweak your machine for performance, etc. XLR8YourMac is a must. MacOSXHints is also very useful, for X issues, tips.

·
Premium Member
31,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spymac is a known one tho more rumour than tech use but fun none the less. We'll likely have it in a "crystal ball" list.

XLR8 is around a long time and Larry at OWC is a supplier anyway you can't breath on the web without inhaling an OWC ad anyway :D

I tend to like rob art morgan at barefeats.com. We exchange tech stuff. Rob and I exchange ideas about SPEED :eek: So far I've got the top G5 1.6 on the Xbench site - :D
We be hotrodders eh. ;)

more please....... :cool:

·
Registered
609 Posts
MacDoc, I looked at the Resources page on your site, and mentioned a few maybe obvious ones you didn't have listed. For Photoshop, Video, Sound, etc. I can put together a little list , maybe prioritized by usefulness. Experts Exchange (Mac forum) can also be very useful; our friend Lars might be happy there-you get points, status for answers

That's the link for OS issues, there's also Hardware and Networking, etc. forums.

Edit-You also get prizes!

[ November 26, 2003, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: HJS ]

·
Registered
802 Posts
Macdoc - given my entrenchment in the trailing edge of Apple type computing technology (up to a B&W already), I have found lowendmac an invaluable resource. Besides the site itself, there are many specialized forums for all types of Apple computers from the Apple IIc to the latest and fastest Macs.

I started my Mac experiences with a slot-loading iMac but really got interested when exploring the capabilities of lowend stuff (ie: 7300, 8100, Beige G3). There a lot of these old machines out there and they are still very capable if your needs are not for the the fastest or faster. I feel bringing this to people's attention would help many undergo the "Mac Experience" without having to spend their pension savings.

Just a thought. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
I'll second Macaholics recommendation for MacSurfer's Headline News. It has daily news and links to dozens of Mac related sites in a very well laid out format. It is a great starting point whenever you want to get Mac info.

·
Premium Member
31,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes we will be linking the news sites. It's the tech sites especially specialized, print video etc that sometimes are missed.
HJS much appreciated for the list.

We only deal with G3s and newer in sales but do support earlier boxes so perhaps an "Early Mac" section is a good idea - lots of schools have older machines and we have MacDoc Macs that have migrated all over the world where the latest and greatest.......aren't. :cool:

·
Tritium Glow
7,136 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks so far. :D
We got to pondering this and realized many of these sites are absolute goldmines but sometimes it's hard to sort out the truly great articles. So if you've got a "made my day" article to link to that's terrific and appreciated too.

Anything that you considered clear concise and useful.
:cool:

·
Premium Member
6,788 Posts
Macdoc,

I would recommend MacUpdate over VersionTracker every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

MacBytes is also a good alternative to MacSurfer. They don;t get all the links, but they do get all the important ones, and it is much nicer to look at too.

There is also MacOSXHints.com for good OS X tips and tricks, Crazy Apple Rumors for the occasional laugh and MacRumors for the only balanced rumour reporting out there right now.

And who can forget about MacSlash and SlashDot: Apple?

I heard that Geek Patrol is pretty good too. *cough*

--PB

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.